Palenque


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » Palenque
February 22nd 2017
Published: February 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Took Mex 186 to Escarega Junction, driving along way in dense treed surroundings with few towns. Two Military checks, no problems and no Entry.Hit a Cuota at Usumacinta 40 pesos. Road sign watch for monkeys and turtles was interesting. WE got rain 2nd time since Jan 5 , it lasted 10 mins.

The Palenque Maya City of Temples about 500 miles southwest of Mexico City. It lies in Northern Chiapas, near the bottum of the highland over looking a vast plain. It was occupied at least as early as 500BC and reached its peak by th 17th century.Also known as the Pakal of the great, it was this reign that Palenque recouvered from failures of weather and disease.

The Panels in the temple of the inscriptions include a text that is amoung the longest known from the Maya site

Now Roberto Barribs Falls.............A scenic drive 40 mins from the city of Palengue worth every minute of your time. Beautiful and refreshing on a very hot day.

A little Cooler this morning thank goodness it has been extreme heat. This will be our difficult day of our journey, we will be travelling roads with poor conditions and areas where ther have been blockades. Its all part of the experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement








Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb