The Diggs


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
December 15th 2014
Published: December 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The pool and yard is absolutely beautiful, there's also a common barbeque area under a palapa near the ocean, the propane barbeque has one setting - hot. The sand is clean and raked in between the rock and cement sidewalks winding around the buildings. A couple of Mayan type wood carvings stand guard between the lovely flowering bushes. The caretakers, Edwin, Emma and their four kids do a wonderful job taking care of the place and are some of the most pleasant and polite people we have ever met. Most of the water surrounding this small man made island is called the lagoon but this is not an area to swim as there are too many stingrays in the area. Where the lagoon meets up with the ocean there's a private dock with 8 slips, one each for all of the owners, although only one boat is currently tied up.

The layout of the condo is a little strange, two bedrooms on the main floor, each with it's own bathroom. Kitchen and living room on the second floor, then one of Ian's favourite spots is our roof top deck complete with palapa and hammock. He sits up there reading for hours, already finished three books since we arrived.

Oh the wonderful sounds of vacation, the winds of the ocean, birds chirping....and of course the sounds of drills, grinders, cement mixers and hammering from the construction next door. We are lucky today, the construction crew is smaller than usual so we actually get a chance to use the pool for an hour or so. We wonder some days if it was worth the 50 percent discount on our rent to put up with all the noise and dust.

We are told they will be shutting down construction for Christmas break on the 20th, we hope that's true.

In terms of neighbours, there was couple from Alaska here at the start, a couple from Edmonton for a day or two, an American girl that liked to order the caretakers around alot. Then the friendly owners are here right next door to us from Philadelphia and a couple of new Canadians are checking in today.

Across the lagoon all the condos are currently empty, every window is dark after sunset, which reminds me of home looking across the arm at the all the empty homes in Procter this time of year. This will be changing though as more and more travellers are arriving every day. We decide to walk to town and go out for dinner since we did nothing but laze around all day. Most of the restaurants are closed but we find one that is open called Rumfish. We get a nice meal of fish and lobster pasta and head back to the condo with bellies all full.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb