Copan


Advertisement
Published: April 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our Arrival

Our shuttle dropped us off on Calle 18 Conejo opposite Hotel Don Moises.



Where We Stayed

Hotel MarJenny - up the hill on Avenue Mirador, 1 1/2 blocks North from where the bus dropped us off. We were met at the bus stop by a tout offering rooms in this place for $20. We declined and started walking down the street but he went down to $15 so we agreed to look at the place. There was a decent sized swimming pool, roof terrace with seating, hammocks and nice views and a small TV in the room. Our room was by the swimming pool so was a bit noisy but for $15 during semana santa was fine. There was hot water when we first arrived but didn't get any since.



What We Did

Visited Copan Ruins - $15 or L630 entrance so pay in $ if possible. Same ticket to visit Copan ruins and Las Sepulturas. 1km easy walk down a path on the side of the road fom the town. There is also a nature trail which we did at the end with informative English signs and a bit of a ruin. You can no longer walk to Las Sepulturas from inside Copan, you need to exit the park and walk 1.4 km along the road. Entrance to Las Sepulturas closes at 4pm. It is worth a visit if you have time. We didn't see any macaw's on the way in to Copan ruins but later the birds gathered around the feeding tables and you can get quite close to them. Bring lots of water as there is no-one selling any once you are inside the park.

Went Horseback Riding - $15 through Via Via ($5 cheaper than booking through the hotel we were staying at). A very entertaining Spanish speaking guide took us through and alongside the river on horseback. We went up to a viewpoint and took a walk to some Mayan stone sculptures. 1 hour ride to a village, a walk around and 1 hour ride back.

Went to the lookout - on Avenue Centroamericana. Next to an old jail. Some hill views but the view was the same from our hotel.



Where We Ate

Comedor y pupuseria La Pintada - East of the park on Calle de la Plaza. 70 L's for one of the best meals we have had in Central America. Chicken in garlic sauce, creamy mashed potato, rice with vegetables, a salad consisting of lettuce (not cabbage) and dressing and nice tortillas.

A pupusa restaurant - corner of avenue Sesesmiles and Calle Acropolis. L12 for a range of pupusas.

Street Stalls on Calle de la Plaza - just West of the park, tacos and BBQ dinner for L30-40.

Restauran Sacbe Maya - Calle Acropolis. Ignore the menu and order baleadas. L25-30 for one. Our new favourite food, a giant pancake type tortilla with beans, cheese, cream, salsa and optional eggs. One is enough. (We have since tried baleadas in other places around Honduras but these were the best we have had).

There is a food court in the market. We had a massive serve of chicken soup with rice and potatos and vegetables for L50.

There is a supermarket on the street opposite the Guacamaya Spanish school.



Where We Went Next

We wanted to go from Copan to Utila unfortunately it was too far to go in one day and only made it to La Ceiba.

The bus from Copan to San Pedro Sula left at 7am from the road that leads to the ruins Calle Acropolis just past Avenue Sesesmiles, next to an animal food shop. It cost L140 and arrived in San Pedro Sula at 11am.

When you arrive in the terminal walk inside. Diana Express is the 1st office oppsite where you walk in with buses to La Ceiba. L115 for a ticket. To catch the bus go back outside and right to where you were dropped off. When we caught the bus it was quite busy and there was a large queue. The office told us the bus was leaving at 11:15am however it only arrived at 11:35am and left at 11:45am. You will get bag tags for your luggage and a brieft (or non existant) bag search when entering the bus. The bus arrived in La Ceiba at 4pm. On the same bus were people who caught the 6am bus from Copan so give yourselves an extra hour in bed!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb