Isla De Ometepe


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 20th 2014
Published: February 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our Arrival

In Altagracia

The 2pm ferry from Granda arrives just after 6pm about 3km down a bad road from Altagracia. On the boat people come around and try and sell you their hostel and taxi ride into town. If you decide not to take them up on their offer get off the boat early as there was only 1 small pickup that wasn't run by a hostel/hotel. We took the minivan taxi arranged with the man off the boat. You will need to give in your ticket on departure.

In Santa Cruz

We caught the 9:30am bus from the park opposite the church in Altagracia to Balgue. The driver dropped us at or hostel Little Morgans just past the Santa Cruz turn off C$17.



Where We Stayed

In Altagracia

Hotel Castillo - $5 dorm. This is the guy from the ferry's place. Restaurant and reasonably priced beers. He will try and sell you tours and motorbike rental.

In Santa Cruz

Little Morgans - $10 for a bed in a casita or $9 per person for a double bed in there. Dorms were full when we arrived. Lockers and an outside shower/toilet, enlosed showers/toilets at the bar if you prefer. Be careful as we were told of thefts in the area. The meals are big but expensive.

There is a place over the road from Little Morgans which has $5 dorms and you can still go and party at Little Morgans if you want.



What We Did

Visited San Ramon Waterfall - $3 entry. We cycled there $5 a day for a bike. I do not recommend cycling. The roads are pretty bad and its 1 1/2 hour cycle then a 45 min walk to the car park. Get a motorbike instead as you can drive up to the car park but be careful as the people who hire the bikes outside Little Morgan's may notice scratches on the bike which you have to pay for. You can swim in the small pool at the bottom.

Ojo de Agua - $3 entry. Walkable from Santa Cruz. A nice swimming area with loungers and waiter service for drinks/food.



Where We Ate

In Altagracia - try the places in and around the park.

In Santa Cruz - the place opposite Little Morgans does a lovely fish soup and there is a small comidor on the road to Santa Cruz which does niceand cheaper than a hostel food. Little Morgans does big but expensive dinners.

In Moyogalpa - there are cheap places to eat around the ferry port.



Where We Went Next

We got the 7:30am bus from the Santa Cruz junction to Altagracia C$17. In Altagracia we changed to a Moyogalpa bus (C$16) in the hopes of catching the 9:00 am ferry but arrived at 9:10am. The next ferry was 10:30am so we had some breakfast and caught that C$50. At the port we jumped on the only chicken bus which was Managua bound and droppped us at a garage intersection in Rivas (C$20). From there it was a 10 min walk to the bus station in Rivas following the same direction as we were headed. In Rivas bus station several taxi drivers told us there were no buses to San Juan Del Sur but we caught one which was C$16.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb