San Juan Del Sur


Advertisement
Published: February 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our Arrival

The bus drops you off next to the market in the middle of town.



Where We Stayed

Hostal Brisas Y Olas - $18 for a room with bathroom. We were up a spiral staircase and I think the rooms downstairs were $20. Free water which sometimes ran out, kitchen and balcony.

Sunset Guesthouse - $10 for a double with shared bathroom. Small room but friendly owners.

Nina's Guesthouse -$15 for a double with shared bathroom. Nice rooSm but no kitchen usage for guests.

Hospedaje Soya - $12 for a double room with a shared bathroom between 2 rooms. Use of the kitchen.

In Playa Maderas

Matildas - $20 for a double with a shared bathroom between 2 rooms. At the end of the beach and nice places to sit around. Kitchen available so bring supplies from SJDS.



What We Did

Walked to Jesus - follow the road over the bridge or steps at the end of the beach. $2 entry and lovely views of the beach.

Walked to the lighthouse - follow the dirt road behind the shacks selling fish near the port. The lighthouse and fort there are not much to see but nice views.

Learn Spanish - with Nica Spanish school $140 for 2 people for 20 hours. The start of the lessons were good but tailed off towards the end and it seemed like he was just wasting time, I'd recommend shorter lessons. Also we had afternoon lessons and he always seemed pretty tired.

Visit Playa Maderas - $5 open return for a week for the shuttle from Casa Oro. Times are displayed outside. Nice beach with good waves.



Where We Ate

The Market - fruit and cheap breakfast/lunch. Big lunches of meat, rice, beans, salad and tortilla for C$50/C$60.

Comidor Angelita and Comodor Margareta - Same meals as the market but open for dinner. C$70 and C$80 respectively.

Outside the market there is a BBQ where you can get plaintain chips, meat and salad for C$50 and a burger/hotdog stand.

Asados Juinita sells the usual plates of food in big portions for C$90.

There is a supermarket about 15 mins walk up the main road out.

The shop next to the garage sells cheap rum C$65 for a litre of light rum and litres of beer.

The beach shacks sell litres of Victoria for C$35 but no toilets, just a privacy screen.

Corks Irish Bar and Hostel on the beach road has lires of Victoria for C$45 with chilled glasses and complimentary peanuts.



Where We Went Next

We caught a Rivas bound bus from the market. We were headed to Granada and the driver told us to get off at a juction outside Rivas and get on a Managua bound bus which then dropped us off at an intersection outside Granada. I think it would have been better to stay on the bus to Rivaswhere I think you can get a direct bus to Granada. From the intersection it only took a few mins for another bus to pick us up and drop us outside the market in Granada.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb