Crossing from Turks and Caicos to St. Thomas.


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
February 8th 2012
Published: February 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left Turtle Cove Marina in Turks and Caicos at 8am heading towards St. Thomas. We run along the north coast of Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico for a total of 467nm in 36 hours. We burned 3004 gallons of diesel.

We passed south of the Silver Banks and 10 pm so if there were whales it was dark to see them. The crossing was even bumpier than coming to Turks. We had 8ft seas most of the time.

The view around Puerto Rico into the USVI is pretty nice with islands and rocks coming out of the water. We saw a group of humpback whales around the tip of Puerto Rico. They were jumping in their backs. So amazing.

The humpback whales were around 50 ft jumping way up in the air flipping and falling on their backs making a huge splash so cool. Moms showing the little ones how it is done! We slowed down to watch them but no we didn't jump in the water because we were towing the 40 ft boat and it was pretty rough. But at least I got to see them and that was awesome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb