Luis,San Sebastian, and the Volcano


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
August 18th 2010
Published: August 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

A Table In Our RoomA Table In Our RoomA Table In Our Room

This coffee table in our room has a traditional Mayan costume inside of it.
Every so often we are lucky enough to meet someone who has what is called a "labor of love." Their work is their true vocation, it is their calling, it is what they give to this world, in that way that we all long to give something to this world. Posada San Sebastian is Luis' "labor of love." It's not the fanciest hotel in the world, what fun would that be? Luis' reflects the essence of Antigua. Everytime one's gaze comes to rest, it settles on a perfect still life of the small colonial city. Antigua is Colonial Central America and indigeneous Guatemala at their best, and the antiques Luis has tastefully distributed in every square inch of the hotel speak to these themes.

In addition to its attentive owner and employees (they did our laundry without our asking), Posada San Sebastian offers a peaceful rooftop deck with a full public kitchen, cable, and a location only two blocks from Parque Central. This is where to stay in Antigua, Guatemala.

Yesterday, Martina and I climbed Volcan Pacaya (though it's too active to go all the way up at the moment). It was like walking on the moon. It had
The Stairwell at San SebastianThe Stairwell at San SebastianThe Stairwell at San Sebastian

Usually, a hallway full of religious paraphenalia might be considered gawdy, but not at San Sebastian.
a major eruption in May, and almost the entire landscape was barren. Near the peak, that teased us, there was nothing more than black volcanic rock all around us with geothermic steam leaking from every crack and crevice. We got really cheap facial steam treatments sqeezing through the crevices, and sore asses climbing the steep incline for an hour and a half.

For dinner we ate a lovely spot called Las Palmas and then had dessert at Caffe' Bourbon, where we discovered a notable singer named Maf, who covered both English and Spanish songs with a unique style.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

MartinaMartina
Martina

Martina coming out of a crevice full of geothermic steam.


18th August 2010

volcano blog
Really enjoy your blog. We are learning so much history through your adventure.Take care.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb