First 4 days in Cuba


Advertisement
Published: July 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sat 25th to Wed 30th. Wow. Sorry for the delay this is the first town we have found the internet after leaving Havana. ( Sun was a public hol so we didn't find the Etecsa there)

We had an interesting stop over in Santiago, Chile. Hotel was OK and we got a bit of sleep. It was in a good area to walk around and we had a great steak dinner. South America style. Initally Santiago look a bit of a stock with some slum areas on the way into town but after half a day we started to like it . I'm looking forward to having a few days on the way back to check Chile out a bit more.

Sat afternoon we flew on to havana. We couldn't get a travel visa off the airline/ airport so turned up without one. That caused a little concern as even the customs staff at Cuba thought we were mad but 5 mins and $23US later we were in.

Then the fun started . Our LP booked Casa was in a area 4 km outof the centre and Leonardo didn't even have the room Mrs Lupe concerned by email. after 2 hours drinking coffee on the poach in rough Bella Vista his friebd Freddy turned up to take us to the ' other family casa' . ... finally Feddy's neighbour has a decent room so we had to leave the bikes at the first place for the night!! and sleep there.

Sun 27th . Tour la Habana .. 36km

By 10am we had the bikes back. We had to walk 2km back with Freddie build the bikes and carry everything ( 1.5x1m bike box) on the carry back to our Casa. Nicer area too.

We biked around Havana for the rest of the day stopping in resturants , beaches and parks. Saw some of the major buildings and cool back streets. Had a swim in the sea at sunset.


Mon 28th 120km!! got lost so did 30km extra.
Havana to Cayajobs via coast and Aternisa ( only 40km away from Havanna on the Autopas!)

Biked out of town heading west on the coast.. our tour yesterday helped us know where to go.
Left at 7am but then got stuck waiting for a 'supermarket ' to open .. gave up after coffe an 1hr and rode into the country on the North Road. Had a good bit of luck swapping a few $ for pesos and got a breakfast of fitters ? fried sweet things and a 1.25l Gauva jugo ( puree, frozen ) That was good biking food . the morning went well and we tried a different road to get to the mountains. Would have been good expect we were not clear when asking for directions ( NB show the map next time).
3pm thunderstom starting in a town of 60,000 and no accomodation. After our $1 pizza we rode back through the rain and it worked out OK.

We had a good night with a small farming family not too far from the National park.

Tues29th ( hilly 36km .. swimming etc)

We ate early but got to the Las Terrazas park to wait until9am opening( like 4-5 other tourists).
We spend half the day at a pinic swimming area then in the heat of the afternoon biked out and down to Soroa for the night.

It was like biking the Aakas on the hotest day of summer. Still very beautiful and we came to a cute casa before Soroa ( hotel only). We had the best dinner, Bed swim in the local baths! ( that was like swimming in a dipping tough ( green). photos to come.

Wed 30th

Soroa to Vinales 115km

Good early start and we used the Autopas ( 6 laned state highway) But we had a lane to ourselves, bar a the horse and carts. Every overpass had crowds of people hitching. Been organised into rides at some by officials. We made good time of the 70km of this road and the contryside was still beautiful. We hmade some friends at a small caferia. Maria (60yr) was trying to marry her sister off to James and I have their shoe sizes to send sandels. May be a photo of their cafe and home ah.

The last 36km up the valleys to this beautiful limestone area were hard work as the heat got up.
Some great hills and great places. Happy to be here for 2 nights now though.




Advertisement



29th July 2009

Cool
Hi Chris, Cool to hear from you. I am at work waiting for Cameron, yay. Main printer in disp broke, skip bin was in creek, Nerida, Amanda H, Lynda sick Kathys mum broke her hip. otherwise all good. Miss you already. Looking forward to some photos and more stories from your adventure. Love Sue
29th July 2009

vaya burritos
Sounds like you are having a good time,may the rest of the trip be even better! Herb
29th July 2009

Great to hear your news
Can't wait to see the photos but your description is great and I get the picture you are in another world. Can not imagine the heat or the level of fitness required. We are heading to CHCH tomorrow (Friday) and back Sunday. Love to my amazing brothers Helen
29th July 2009

woohoo
great chris! though dont know about the 120 km bit... was maria's sister 60 too?
30th July 2009

sounds like you haveing a great adventure - thanks for the updates good to hear your news - look forward to next update. All good here - fishing been great so happy with that. take care.
30th July 2009

Kia ora körua
Wow. So cool to hear from you guys. So glad to know that you are surviving. The odd challenge I see. Gosh you must be getting fitter and fitter. We are building up to our family reunion in Chch to celebrate the 3 birthdays. SO looking forward to it. Gosh what can I share when all is just the same here and you 2 are having such new and different lot of experiences. I wonder if things get stolen over there or if people just don't do that. Much love to you both. God bless Joan

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb