Guatemala, Belize and big wave El Salvador


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
August 14th 2007
Published: August 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Off the beaten path to El Salvador, staying in possibly the most underveloped beach town in the world, where we were joined by our friends Kristen and Dawn. It was very cheap and very fun. As for surfing, we mostly just got pummeled by some very big waves. Our hunt for some smaller waves took us up and down the coast but to no avail, so we spent our time just watching and wishing we could join in the fun. Other than that there was nothing to do but drink some beers, swing in hammocks and watch the world go by, namely various local characters including "Mr Rasta" an approximately ninety year old Rastafarian whose daily yoga routine was most inspirational.

Heading north to Guatemala where we met up with a uni friend of Fran´s, Tom. Hit the Southern highlands and the cobbled streets of Antigua where we watched Buena Vista Social Club playing live, hiked up and got dangerously close to an active volcano - actually got to melt things in the lava - days on a very nice lake in Flores we headed over to Belize for our birthday´s (yep, they´re on the and visited some indigenous villages and markets. A trip to the mystical Mayan ruins of Tikal was pretty impressive once we got over the 3.30am start. After floating about in a dinghy for a few days on a lovely lake we headed to the Cayes of Belize to celebrate our birthday (they´re on the same day).

The island of Caye Caulker is idylic, the perfect Carribean hang-out, but unfortunately our stay there was brief due to the hurricane. Planing ahead we started celebrating our birthday a day early with a snorkelling trip in the most amazing Carribean waters and hung out with sting rays, manta rays and nurse sharks which our not so eco-friendly guide let us hold. In the evening we met up with Tom, Kristen and Dawn again, plus a few Danish extras for a lobster and rum dinner. Our actual birthday was spent mainly on a bus speeding away from the approaching hurricane but we managed to celebrate in the evening back in Guatemala with a lake-side dinner, lots of tequila and some post-dinner swimming in the lake which half the restaurant joined in with.


Additional photos below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

El SalvadorEl Salvador
El Salvador

Hostal pets
El SalvadorEl Salvador
El Salvador

the village´s only shop...
El SalvadorEl Salvador
El Salvador

getting ready for the surf
El SalvadorEl Salvador
El Salvador

Kristen and Dawn, on a rock.. with a small boy.
El SalvadorEl Salvador
El Salvador

wipe out...
El SalvadorEl Salvador
El Salvador

Italian friends


28th August 2007

I am jealous
Hey Mark and Fran, Do you think if I lose 20 kilos, 20 years, and 20 stiff muscles, I can join you, looks like yo uguys are having an awesome time. Practice your golf you are going to need it in December.
29th August 2007

Looks like you guys had a blast wish I could have been there for your birthday!! You guys are definately living the life! xx
29th August 2007

GREAT PHOTOS
Just been showing Dorah the photos she thinks you look cool and the photos fantastic!! Definitely envious of your tan even though I live here in SA. Keep them flowing so much enjoy sharing your moments with you. Love Mum xxxxxx

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb