Willemstad- Curaçao


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 24th 2020
Published: January 24th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Curaçao Blog 19th January 2020


Our second visit to the capital of Curaçao, Willemstad and its historic centre are on UNESCO’s World Heritage List.



We docked in the neighbourhood of Otrobanda one of two neighbourhoods on either side of the canal that divides the city.



To reach the other side, the Punda, you cross the Queen Emma Pontoon bridge also known as the “Swinging Old Lady” which opens and closes to let ships and boats through.

A ferry operates when the bridge is open.

Unfortunately we are here on a Sunday, although most of the shops and bars were open the famous floating market wasn’t.

Just as well as on a warm day and it was it stinks, particularly at the end of day when the fish has started to go off.



There’s a lot of street art as you wander through the narrow streets towards Wilhelmina Park and the colourful buildings which are mainly government offices.

Then you can pass by the cafes and restaurants in the old Waterfort Arches before heading back into the main Punda district.



Sail away is always dramatic, more so today as a strong wind had us pinned to our berth and tugs had to drag us off the berth out to sea before coming about and heading to our next port of call.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.446s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 26; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb