survival


Advertisement
Published: November 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well we survived.

We evacuated to the hurricane shelter at east bay (5 min from the center) at around 2pm yesterday. It was cloudy and windy from then until long after we fell asleep. At about 2am we woke up to VERY loud rain and wind aka Tomas. Apparently he decided to come directly over us but it did very little damage. However, the shelter flooded a little (we were even on the second floor?) by pouring in through our hurricane "safe" windows. Luckily my bed was farther off from the wall and I didn't get wet. Our dog, Bruno, and cat, Tomas (Thomas for some), survived as well as this goat that seems to think he lives here.

We spent the evening outside on the beach watching the intense waves form and crash before our eyes. It was honestly a very cool experience. All 34 of us slept on air mattresses with our sleeping bags (Dad, I'm sooo happy you convinced me to get the sheet bag thing. It was perfect.) We watched The Fall and The Hangover , had a mini dance party and took a lot of melatonin to fall asleep.

I have only two complaints. 1. Tomas should have been bigger and a lot more fun. If I'm living through a hurricane I want it to be epic! 2. When we took a stroll to the beach at about 8pm last night, we looked up at the penthouse of the hotel we were at (it isn't functioning yet, just the construction people live there) to see all of the interns and profs playing foosball, pool, and drinking beer. WTF. Not cool SFS not cool. If this is camp, then it's camp for us all. Your rules, not mine.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb