St. Lucia


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

St. Lucia (British controlled)
Capitol City is Castries

Short walk from the ship to board a small boat to go whale/dolphin watching. Long ride to get to the watching area. Weather nice and water very blue and calm. No whales spotted but did see lots of spinner and spotted dolphins. Could see the famous St. Lucia Pitons (twin peaks) in the distance. The trip back was in rough water with wind blowing the spray. Marci was standing in the back of the boat and managed to get soaking wet from the spray. With the humidity and the wind, she dried by the time we got back to the ship.

After a quick lunch, we boarded an enclosed bus for an island tour. First stop was the St. Marks colonial house. A big old house full of bulky furniture but with a great view of the harbor and Castries. Narrow and steep roads up the mountain. Driver goes fast and blows his horn a lot to let others know he is coming. Next stop at Caribelle Batik to watch them make batik fabric. Located in a big old house on the side of a mountain. Very interesting processes and results in some beautiful cloth. Next a visit to the old restored La Siwk sugar mill where they processed sugar cane into molasses. Drive through a residential area. Very clean but very poor. One lady was washing the front of her house with soapy water and then rinsing it off.






Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb