Days 3-4


Advertisement
Published: April 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our little paradise is turning out to be just that as I sit here sipping on my grapefruit juice with Terri snoring ever so quietly in the bedroom behind me...the sunny weather has been faithful to us all here. Our 3rd day was spent lazing around the circular pool which, when traversed 1 lap, equals 75 metres so from now on til we leave I'm going to swim 15 laps a day. Our cohabitants we've met so far are from England, Chicago, Switzerland, Burnaby, and Boston. All nice people. The resort is a quiet place in the northwest part of the island and boasts having one of the best beaches. When cruise ships come in, they transport their customers to our beach because its so desired. We're now entering the low season so we've not been flooded with cruise visitors so far. Our 3rd night had us sharing a taxi with another couple (Bob, the mechanical engineer who designs garage door openers and Becky the condo property manager - we like to greet them as the Bob and Becky Show) to seek out some local island cuisine called Laurel's, owned by Laurel, no less. It was located in the hills on the other side of Gros Inlet and was a basic place crowded beside, what looked like in the dark (gets dark here around 6), a poorer section of town with barking dogs, beggars looking for some food and trailer homes, shacks and other places no so well kept up. Food was presented in a spread in front of us comprised of local fish called Dorado, shrimp, rice, a vegetable with a name i can't remember, plantain, breadfruit (looked and tasted like deep-fried small mash potato balls, and spareribs. The popular drinks usually include local Champlain Rum (which tourists may watch being made at the local distillery), and I tried a solution of rum and coconut water. All in all, food was ok, and the venue was passable. Company was great. Taxi back to the resort ended with our driver declaring he was headed to Bible Study to pray for us. Still not sure why...

Our day 4 started with us going to the Scotia Bank to draw out much needed funds for our upcoming tour plans and other cash-requiring activities, and before walking back to the resort, I stopped by the local barber and got a # 1 head shave and trim of my white as snow goatee. Now I look like the Chemist in "Breaking Bad". We did a little more good shopping at the supermarket and heading home in anticipation of our reservation for a full body massage and full body scrub along with a facial at the resort's spa. This two our pampering was well worth the $66 each and we walked out feeling like heaven...a serenity that stayed with us all day. After reading in the sun for a bit, we napped until the resort manager's free cocktail hour at 6:30 by the pool where we shot back some more rum punches combined with appies brought to us on platters. All this was followed by a fashion show which we chose to watch from our balcony, mostly, while we sat and enjoyed a delicious steak dinner with mushrooms and salad we cooked up for ourselves. Oh well, just another day in paradise, dahlings!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb