Navigating Nevis


Advertisement

There are some travel journeys that are seemingly straight forward, but take unforeseen turns, only to eventually work out just fine. Our travel to the lovely island of Nevis was exactly that. Living in Florida, the three-hour journey to the Miami Airport and the flight to St. Kitts were essentially uncomplicated, then the unexpected happened. Let us back up just a little. We had originally booked... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Ancient CanonsAncient Canons
Ancient Canons

Along the waterfront
Brutus chillin'Brutus chillin'
Brutus chillin'

Our mascot... O-H-I-O
Carib BeerCarib Beer
Carib Beer

Local Lager
Quaint HouseQuaint House
Quaint House

It has seen better times.
Flight from Miami to St. KittsFlight from Miami to St. Kitts
Flight from Miami to St. Kitts

The wackiness begins
Ginger Cake & Ice CreamGinger Cake & Ice Cream
Ginger Cake & Ice Cream

Out of this world!
Landing Craft MediumLanding Craft Medium
Landing Craft Medium

Our transportation to St. Kitts.



11th December 2023

It sounds like quite an adventure to find the right ferry...
I have reached that point in life where I avoid such adventures if at all possible!
11th December 2023

It sounds like an adventure to find the right ferry
We discussed this at length, more than necessary after the fact. It would seem the car rental companies could easily give you a sheet of paper with the 2 ferry locations and the times they leave. That would be extremely helpful. It didn't help that they sent us to the closest one rather than the one we asked for... signage was not good.
11th December 2023

Pays to persevere!
Just reading about your adventure was frustrating! Fortunately it all turned out well.
11th December 2023

Pays to persevere!
It was frustrating and as you say all turned out well. The ferry ride to Nevis and the return was one of our favorite things to do. The sun was setting on our way and the sky was beautiful. Thanks for reading and commenting.
12th December 2023

What a wonderful trip reuniting with some travel buddies! You two live the best life!!!
13th December 2023

Navigating Nevis
Susan, thanks for reading and commenting. We do enjoy exploring. It is a cute island. We enjoyed connecting with our friends.
21st December 2023

Nevis
Wow, what a place! Very much an off-the-beaten track Caribbean location it seems. The start would have caused quite a bit of stress for me too - you look so happy in the sunset ferry pictures as you finally get on your way to Nevis. What a relief! Turns out you also got your gem of an accommodation in the end, although poor service for VRBO not to have told you about the cancellation sooner. It seems that all turned out well in the end anyway, and Nevis seems quite the charmer.
21st December 2023

Nevis
I"m disappointed with VRBO but things worked out well. We were very happy once we were on the ferry and the ferry ride was a delight. IT is a nice island.
1st January 2024
Mount Nevis

Sounds like an adventure
Sounds like you had a bit of an adventure going to Nevis. We have also had hotel accomodations cancelled with short notice and know exactly how it feels. But it sure looks nice there so I'd love to go there myself one day. /Ake
1st January 2024
Mount Nevis

Sounds like an adventure
Well all the research we did we felt we had a good idea of what we were doing. A miscommunication added to our confusion but it all worked out and we loved the ferry ride.
6th January 2024

De-listed accommodation
Don't you just love it when this happens. Happened to us in Toronto in 2022, but in this case the owner didn't even tell Booking.com who kept insisting everything was fine. Only found out when we actually got there, late on the Friday night of a long weekend, with two other family members about to arrive to join us. We did eventually find alternative accommodation, but was very poor and ridiculously expensive. Booking.com agreed to pay the difference, but took 114 emails (no kidding) and five months to get the money back. (I now only use Booking.com as an absolute last resort.)
6th January 2024

De-listed accommodation
Your experience sounds much worse than ours. I'm glad it finally worked out. When these companies were smaller and had fewer properties it was run better and gave good customer service. Now it has become big business. I like hotels.com but think it is all the same company now-- just different branches.
7th January 2024

More Avis Travel Issues
I can't believe they sent you to the wrong ferry terminal. Very glad you were able to put things in order and make it on time. I have been in that navigator's seat before and know the pressure of trying to get somewhere. Sounds like a relaxing time on the island though.
7th January 2024

More Avis Travel Issues
It was stressful for a bit but we made it on time and gave us one more thing to laugh about. We had a nice few days.
25th January 2024

Booo to the ferry mix-up
The ferry terminal saga is a great way to get the heart racing at the start of a trip! Although I wondered if the staff at the first terminal couldn't have guessed what was going on and made the process a bit easier for you. Glad it worked out for you in the end... and Nevis looks lovely! :)
25th January 2024

Boo to the ferry mix-up
Yes, I think the staff at the ferry terminal could have given better information but the car rental people should have known where it is. We asked for directions to the correct one and receive the wrong information. Oh well, it worked out.

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb