St Barths...beaches and long lunch at Eden Rock


Advertisement
Published: December 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to my 400th entry on travelblog.org. Yes, that's a small slice of my life. And thanks to all of you who have followed the adventures of Leslie and Tiffany! Few figures, it's 400 entries, from over 110 countries spreaded over 7 years. It's also 15,400 pictures, 320,000 words, and yes, already 170,000 hits. The good news is, as all these entries are mainly written in airport lounges just after the experience has been lived, I truly don't need to re-write my life. What you read here, is what is mainly our life. I do tend to spend time at home with Leslie and Tiffany too. Writing this for example, for once from home. Home is great for the kids, home is great for my kitchen, home is also great to plan the next trips. Trust me, it does take some homework to make these trips some amazing moment.



And the future? Well, keep reading, but for now, it's all about a truly fun day in St Barthelemy, better known as St Barths....even better known as a sandpit for the wealthy to play in! St Baths is a little corner of France in the Caribbean. The airport is pretty small, making any big commercial aircraft landing not a solution here. So no mass tourism in St Barths, just serious yachts, super expensive villas and outrageously priced hotels. And yes, there are few small cruise ships too.



Our little group has decided to have one more day of fun. We took one of the first "beachers" to go to rent a car. Well, as it's eight of us, it's rather 2 cars, and we took what was left...a mini convertible and another non-descript small car. Today, four selves designated drivers. I'm in for the afternoon....this is France, and I'm the only one with a driver license from outside of the European Union, so no issues with points if I just have two glasses of wine! No kidding!



Exploring St Barths in a convertible is a truly fun experience, specially with fun friends, and with the music system blasting proper rhythms. Our first stop of the morning, the beach of "Les Salines"...welcome to the freedom of beaching in France....just have a closer look at some of those pictures, I won't tell more! That beach was pretty nice.



Than we continued the exploration of St Barths on wheel. I have to admit, the island is pretty small...and pretty hilly too! Good news we didn't rent a moped, as we did encounter one or two short showers on our ride.



Lunch was another affair, a truly long lunch. We stopped at Eden Rock. Yes, that pretty exclusive little hotel....they are "just" asking 50 euros for a beach chair for the day! So we knew the experience would be on the not so budget style. Interesting point, the food was simply amazing, and the prices are pretty similar to Paris...so let's simply enjoy. Eden Rock is a Relais & Chateaux member, and the restaurant is run by Jean-Georges. If you have no idea who is Jean-George, I'm sorry!



So we had few cocktails, few nice bottles of rose wine....and those langoustes and steaks were pretty amazing too! Oh yes, and the company made it a great long lunch.



We had no intention of paying the hotel 50 euros for the beach chairs, so we walked 100 meters....and digested all those good moments on the sand!



That was an afternoon.....safe ride back to Gustavia, time to drop the cars....shopping time for the girls only this time....nap for me...getting ready for another great dinner and evening...let's enjoy some more champagne...I know, I've been called a champagne boy once!



Next entry coming soon...we are getting closer to the end of a pretty fun week!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb