A4 Travel Blog #1


Advertisement
Puerto Rico's flag
Central America Caribbean » Puerto Rico
September 13th 2013
Published: September 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The current political structure in Puerto Rico, is that very much like the United States. This commonwealth has democratic a government, for example, Puerto Rico's government has two legislative chambers, the House of Representatives and the Senate. Although very common to the United States, Puerto Rico is not a state, but it is a commonwealth. Commonwealth is a nation or state governed by the people; or commonly known as a republic. Also some important facts to know about Puerto Rico are, even though it is a democratic commonwealth, the President of Puerto Rico is Barack H. Obama, as well as Joe R. Biden as their Vice President. However, the person in charge of internal affairs in Puerto Rio is, Governor Luis Fortuño, elected since January 2, 2009, he serves a four year term like the President and Vice President. Some other interesting facts about Puerto Rico are, the defense of Puerto Rico has been the responsibility of the United States since 1898, as part of the Treaty of Paris. Also how there is one active military base located in Guaynabo, about 12 miles south of the capital of Puerto Rico, San Juan. This military base is called Fort Buchanan, it was established in 1923 in honor of Coronel James A. Buchanan. It is in honor of this Coronel because he was the commander in the first Puerto Rico U.S. army unit. The article I used for determining these facts is http://www.topuertorico.org/government.shtml.

The theme I have chosen to relate to Puerto Rico is, theme number two, political structures and forms of governance. I have chosen this theme because the question we received was "What is the current political structure/government in this country/region?" I explained in the previous paragraph, the main points to take away are, how Puerto Rico is a commonwealth, and the person in charge for the internal affairs, is Puerto Rico's Governor Luis Fortuño. Also something to take away is Puerto Rico has a democratic government.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb