Guayanilla


Advertisement
Published: October 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Guayanilla (gwah-yah-NEE-yah) is a municipality of Puerto Rico located in southern coast of the island, bordering the Caribbean Sea, south of Adjuntas, east of Yauco; and west of Peñuelas and about 20 km (12 mi) west of Ponce. Guayanilla was founded by Catalans,Italians,Corsicans, Venezuelans, and Puerto Rican criollos. The original name was Guadianilla in memory of a river of the same name in Spain. However, it was changed to Guayanilla to resemble a native word in the Taíno dialect. The name Guayanilla is derived from a combination of Guaynia and Santa Maria de Guadianilla.
The first Europeans settled in this area in 1511. In 1756, Yauco was founded as a town. Then Guayanilla was a borough of Yauco. Due to the very fertile lands and access to the local port where most of the local commerce occurred, Guayanilla became an important agricultural center, grew quickly, and was established as a separate municipality on February 27, 1833 by Governor Miguel de la Torre.
The coastline forms the Guayanilla Bay, one of the best natural harbors in Puerto Rico, to the south, also. The nearest city is Ponce, which is 20 km (12 mi) to the east. The northern regions are bordered by
Rosita and Mama RosaRosita and Mama RosaRosita and Mama Rosa

fighting over last bite
mountains that reach 1000 meters (3281 feet). In the central regions, the terrain descends where it does not exceed 430 meters (1410 feet). Finally in the coastal plain, the elevations do not exceed 290 meters (951 feet). The Yauco, Guayanilla, and Macaná rivers all run through the municipality. The Yauco River briefly runs through the Boca borough, where its exit into the Caribbean Sea and accompanying marshlands are located.
This is where are good friends Hector and Rosita live. We will be staying with them for a few days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Rosita in her cousins carRosita in her cousins car
Rosita in her cousins car

Yeah, always showing off!
Last PartyLast Party
Last Party

Naw, we didn't drink it all. But we sure did some damage.


Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0965s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb