Caguas


Advertisement
Published: October 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Caguas (Spanish pronunciation: ) (founded in 1775) is a city and municipality of Puerto Rico located in the Central Mountain Range of Puerto Rico, south of San Juan and Trujillo Alto, west of Gurabo and San Lorenzo, east of Aguas Buenas, Cidra, and Cayey.
Caguas is located twenty minutes to an hour by car from San Juan and an hour and a half from Ponce. It is known as El Valle del Turabo (Turabo Valley) or La Ciudad Criolla (The Creole City) and its name originates from the Taíno cacique Caguax.
Originally called San Sebastián del Piñal de Caguax, Caguas derives its name from a local Indian chief (Caguax) who was an early Christian convert.
The colors are blue and yellow. The cross stands for the Cross of San Sebastián, for this was the first Christian village that settled in the Caguas Valley together with the hermitage of San Sebastián del Barrero. Ten of the Caguas Barrios have their own flag using the Cross of San Sebastian, its own coat of arms and colors.
The colors blue and gold were chosen for the shield, distinctive of the city of Caguas. The figures symbolize the Indigenous and Christian origins of this city. The crown represents Chief Caguax, Monarch of the Turabo Valley, upon the arrival of the Spanish conquerors.
There is a botanical garden here. My cousin has lived in this city for 28 years.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Silvia, Maribel & EmilioSilvia, Maribel & Emilio
Silvia, Maribel & Emilio

Nice lunch, saying goodbye


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb