Adjuntas


Advertisement
Puerto Rico's flag
Central America Caribbean » Puerto Rico
September 9th 2008
Published: October 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

AdjuntasAdjuntasAdjuntas

It is in a valley with a river running through
Adjuntas was founded August 11, 1815, by Diego Maldonado, gaining administrative independence from Utuado. It was one of the main cities where the Anusim, Maranos, and other Sephardi Jews settled. Many of these families were of the Torres, Perez or Peretz, and Bennazzar families among others. Bereberes and Mozarabes settled there too.

After the mid 1800s, Adjuntas welcomed many immigrants from the Mediterranean islands Corsica and Majorca. Some of them established coffee plantations. During the last decades of XIX century, the fine coffee produced in Adjuntas was exported to Europe, United States and even the Vatican.

It was proclaimed "villa", or a first order municipality, by the Spanish Government Monarchy in 1894.

Adjuntas was occupied by the United States Army forces during the Spanish American War of 1898 and was visited by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1906.

The discovery of rich deposits of copper, gold and other minerals during the 1960s motivated some local community and environmental leaders to oppose the mining. By the 1990s, they convinced the Puerto Rican government to take a stand against the mining industry, on behalf of conservation. Today, instead of mining, with the leadership of Casa Pueblo, a community organization, Adjuntas leads the preservation of natural resources movement in Puerto Rico.

Landmarks and places of interest

* Guilarte
* Hacienda Bareal Ruins
* Hacienda El Muerto
* Hacienda Arbela
* Hacienda Pietri Ruins
* Inabon Waterfalls
* Mirador de Vegas Arriba
* Poblado CastaƱer
* parador villas sotomayor
* Barra La Montana

Casa Pueblo is a local museum and cultural institution called founded by a group of local activists who fought against the copper mine exploitation of the area for decades. Casa Pueblo is responsible for many environmental projects like the preservation of hundred of acres of pristine woods and fresh water bodies.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1014s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb