Camuy


Advertisement
Puerto Rico's flag
Central America Caribbean » Puerto Rico
September 14th 2008
Published: October 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Camuy (kahm-WEE) is a municipality in Puerto Rico located on the Valley of Quebradillas, bordering the Atlantic Ocean, north of Lares; east of Quebradillas; and west of Hatillo. Camuy is spread over 12 wards and Camuy Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). The town celebrated its 200th anniversary in 2007.
Landmarks and Places of Interest

* Hacienda Morell
* Lake Guajataca
* Peñon Brussi Beach
* Peñon Amador Beach
* Rio Camuy Cave Park ( Check to make sure is open) ( At this writing still closed)
* La Cueva de Camuy
* Iglesia Monte del Calvario
* Paseo Tablado del Rio Camuy, or Rio Camuy Boardwalk
* Iglesia de Piedra
* Camuy History Museum

The patron saint of Camuy is San José. His day is celebrated on May 1]. The patron saint festivities are celebrated every year around the last 2 weeks of the month of May, the month of Saint Joseph. His official liturgical day is May 1.

Camuy is also known as:

* Ciudad Romántica (Romantic City) - A very famous romantic radio station appeared in the early
Camuy cavesCamuy cavesCamuy caves

We were there in May and then Sept. Sept it was closed due to a death.
80's in the town and listeners from across the northern region tuned in every evening.
* Ciudad de los Arenosos (City of the Arenosos) - Named after the abundance of sand in the coastline as well as the famous Doble AA baseball team, "Los Arenosos".
* Ciudad del Sol Taíno (City of the Taíno Sun) - Named after Taíno mythology. It is believed that Camuy meant "Sun".
* Ciudad de las Cavernas (City of the Caverns) - In the southern part of the municipality there's a massive cave system called "Rio Camuy Cave Park" which host the third largest subterranean river of the

The main church of the town is the San Jose Parish named after the patron of the town, Saint Joseph.

If you take only one sightseeing trip from San Juan, this should be it. From Arecibo, on the north shore, go southwest along Route 129 to the Río Camuy Cave Park. This incredible 268-acre park is the site of the great subterranean caverns carved out by the Camuy River over one million years ago. The impeccably maintained trails gently descend 200 feet through a fern filled ravine to the yawning, cathedral-like caverns. The caves are home to a unique species of fish that is totally blind. To visit this pristine site is to be transported to another, hidden world. Rio Camuy Cave Park is the third-largest cave system in the world. Sixteen entranced have been found and 11 kilometers (7 miles) of passages explored so far. One special attraction is the Cueva Clara, which measures 695 feet (210m) in length. The park is equipped with picnic areas, walking trails, food facilities, and exhibition hall and a souvenir shop, making it the perfect place to spend a day. Reservations are essential, as this place is understandably popular. Open Wednesdays through Sundays and holidays; 8am to 4pm. For information call: (787) 898-3100 or (787) 763-0568.

Camuy territory is mostly flat because the city it is located on the Valley of Quebradillas, bordering the Atlantic Ocean, north of Lares; east of Quebradillas; and west of Hatillo. Its rivers are: Cibao and Camuy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.047s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb