Panama and the Mines


Advertisement
Published: April 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

The local people of Panama are fighting for their land as a Canadian mining company plans on creating one of the largest open pits mines in the world. On one side are the native people who say they want to keep their simple way of life and not have their worlds turned upside down by the change the mine will bring. A smaller mine has already been set up and the effects are seen in the small towns. Alcohol that was once not even present has become a huge problem, and now that there are jobs in the mines farmers have left their fields, meaning huge amounts of food have to be now brought in. The biggest reason they are fighting is to save the forest they call home, in order for the mine to go in and all supporting parts, trees and even villages have to come down. This has lead to protests that include local rallies and blocking roads to all mining equipment and vehicles.

On the other hand is the company itself who promises that every species in the proposed area is being documented so that a rescue plan can be created. They also promise schools and medical centers to be built to help those that are displaced. Many who work for the mine say that it will help the local economy and that alcoholism is not caused by the mine monsy but by the choices of the people. However, the locals are not buying this at all saying that schools and medical centers are for the government to build not the mine company. They believe that they are being bought off, and will continue to fight for their homeland.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb