Cameroon


Advertisement
Cameroon's flag
Africa » Cameroon » North
March 31st 2013
Published: March 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Corruption in Cameroon is terrible and happens everday at all places. It starts with a president who does not do anything for his country, yet is always re-elected with a ninety percent majority. The first problem is the roads, all money that was supposed to fix them was embezzled by the president, because when he came to power the roads were still ok from the British occupation. EVen traveling along the roads is a problem, soldiers stop all vehicles regularly to extract bribes from passegers. This makes going anywhere a time consuming task, and with police and soldiers extracting bribes, criminals run rampant.

Corruption is just as rampant in the educational system as well, as shown in this example of one counties colleges. A new library was built with a V-shaped roof, which leads to huge leaks during the intense rain season, destroying all the books. However, the university already had a library that functioned fine and had a proper roof. The reason for this mistake is first there is no over-see on the power of the head of the school, meaning that this library was simply made to be a status symbol trying to increase the class of the school. Almost all school officials come fom one town, meaning money is given out by who knows who, not on actual need. Basically a handful of people hold power with no system to keep them in check.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb