Boquete, Panama


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Chiriquí » David
August 12th 2006
Published: August 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Intro to Boquete

Under Construction.

Our Experience

So, we arrived at Boquete after dark and it started to drizzle. Lovely. Additionally, Boquete is in the mountains so it was a cool drizzle. Extra lovely. We tried one hotel - full. We tried a second hotel (in the opposite direction) - full. We stood under an awning trying to find another hotel, and a lady in a pickup randomly drove up and asked us if we needed a nice hotel to stay at with a private bathroom for $7.00 USD per person. Um... yes, absolutely. Funny how things work out. Joe was just blown away at bad luck gone good luck.

Joe's Note: Not only did this place work out for us at just the right time, this place turned out to be truly amazing in general. It was very clean, very quiet, and best of all, we got the room with the river next to it. It definitely was not some slow river either. We could hear it roaring all night, and it definitely put me to sleep.

After checking in, we went to find some dinner. While hotel hunting, we'd past a neat little cafe with a decent crowd. We went back and each got a burger of sorts. It was good... but we'd only had breakfast. So, we got a second order. Yummy. After that we were full. Went back to the hotel and showered. The heater unit wasn't working so I had a luke-cold shower, and Joe had a freezing cold shower. After that we went to sleep.

The next morning we made laundry our first priority. After that was dropped off, we had breakfast which consisted of some deli sandwiches and a dessert. From there we headed to a cafe with an English-language book exchange. The book exchange was quite a sad sight, so we moved on in search of things to do. We stopped by a white water rafting office, but at approx. $100 USD and a 7AM departure we opted to spend the day in the mountainous countryside. We took a cab outside town to a garden called El Explorador. It was quaint and quite lovely. I think the best part were the large swings we got to play on. We ended up spending most of our time at El Explorador in the cafe enjoying fruit drink slushies. Joe had two. Afterwards, we walked back to town. It took us approximately 45 minutes and it was all downhill in cool mountain air and bright sunshine. Once we were back in town we spent some time online, picked up our laundry, and Joe went "standing" in the large creek that ran behind our hotel. Again, he can tell you about it...

Joe's Note: The river so wasn't as fun as it looked. It was freezing, and it was a lot faster and deeper than it looked. I walked around in it for a bit, relaxed, pulled my legs up, and noticed I had some interesting bugs on my legs. I have no clue where these things came from, but so much for this river being as clean as it looked. I removed said crawling things and was quickly out of the river.

After the creek, Joe showered, and we went back to the cafe we ate at the night before for supper. We both had amazing Grilled Chicken Salads and Joe also had a sandwich. Afterwards, we went and each got a dessert from our breakfast cafe and then stopped to buy a bottle of wine ($3.75 USD from Chile) and some crackers.

Then we did some serious work on the blog. 2.5 serious hours of work. After that, we enjoyed our wine snack, showered and slept.

The next morning we did the usual breakfast then bus out of town routine.

Up Next...

We're heading back to the Caribbean Coast and we'll stay there until we have to head inland to San Jose for our flight home on Monday, August 21st (so soon)! Our first Caribbean destination: Bocas del Toros in Panama


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



31st January 2007

Hotel
What was the name of the hotel.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb