Last Months in Panama


Advertisement
Published: February 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Natural Mystic & White Chocolate



The last couple months that I spent in Panama included growing relationships with the people of Bocas Del Toro. Around Christmas time I met a talented guitarist from Philadelphia, Andrew, and we created a band called "White Chocolate". Almost immediately, we began to line up gigs and we quickly became the best act around. Most of the popular bars and venues around town let us play, and were able to connect with a lot of people around town. White Chocolate sort of became a face of Bocas...

The Natural Mystic boys let "White Chocolate" live at the restaurant for playing music as payment, so the last weeks in Bocas, Andrew and I lived there and played gigs almost every day at other businesses around town; sometimes two a day. It got pretty hectic at one point, and we were totally beat, but it was good because we excelled and became really tight with each other. Most bands passing through would play Latin music and Reggae, so our Gringo rock concerts were a nice change for visitors and locals.

The last days in Bocas were great, but it was definitely sad as lots of
White ChocolateWhite ChocolateWhite Chocolate

with the ladies
friends knew we would be leaving soon. The weekend of my birthday (the 18th) we all went out to Michelle's house on a nearby island where she threw a festival called "The Stone Soup Festival" to celebrate several close friends birthdays, and her 5 year Cancer survival. It was a pretty big weekend, and White Chocolate was invited to play. We had a blast, hung out on the water all day, playing music, swimming, etc. And at night the party took off and we all had so much fun. It was definitely the best birthday that I have ever had.

Leaving close friends behind is always the hardest part about traveling. I always say, "It was never meant to last, it was only meant to happen, and then end." I've been saying that for years, but this time around it is a bit harder than before. I met a lot of amazing people on my journey, and have some kick-ass experiences that were shared with the best friends I could ever ask for. The fact that it's all over is sad, but there is more to come, of course.

My decision to leave was fueled by the fact
MeMeMe

and "Mikey from Heike"
that "White Chocolate" was working out really good, and we decided that we wanted to hit another part of the world to continue the performing. Andrew and I both bought tickets to London, and we are planning to do at least a six month trip through Europe beginning March 8th.

Next Journal will be from Europe!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

White ChocolateWhite Chocolate
White Chocolate

Beachin it up
SignSign
Sign

From first White Chocolate gig
BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

Last Day
ChocolateChocolate
Chocolate

with the ladies
PerformingPerforming
Performing

Casa Verde - Mama Loca
MeMe
Me

Last Day
SignSign
Sign

From one of first White Chocolaate gigs
MeMe
Me

with Vincent
MeMe
Me

with Beverly


28th February 2011

good luck
Mikey good luck on your new location...we miss you and hope you are well....much luv aunt ju
7th April 2011

love your blogs
mikey, it's so good to read about your adventures... i'm so glad that you and andrew are having a good time and getting gigs....keep me posted ok? i love you, MOM

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb