Radio Maxima - The World´s Most Obnoxious Radio Station?


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I have been holding this in for a couple of days now and can´t wait to get it off my chest... the road trip down from the lovely mountain town of Guadalupe was a three hour torture chamber on 4 wheels due to quite possibly the most obnoxious radio station in the world. Radio Maxima. Maxima Over Production is what I would call it. Not once in the whole three hour tour ( sounds like Gilligan´s Island, right?) did we get the opportunity to actually hear a song played to it´s completion. The longest we were able to hear any music without an interuption was 47 seconds. Yes, I counted. I just couldn´t believe what jerks the d.j and production staff were. I was waiting for someone on the bus besides us to have their head spin around and start vomit projectiles. To attempt to give you some idea of this insanity, the average song went something like this.... Song starts to play, usually salsa or merenge. At 3 seconds have D.J start singing over the track, stop D.J at 10 seconds. Play song for another 5 seconds before blasting semi truck horn ( single horn), song 5 seconds, group of drunken latinos at the bar laughter complete with ahhh, haaaa, haaaaa for 4 seconds. Song starts to fade as D.J. answers phono call and talks with listeners over now faded music. Call ends in 10 seconds followed by the drunken laughter track again. Song begins to pump up and is now interupted by either breaking glass, a dinomite blast or multiple semi truck horn blast. This was the typical minute on Radio Make Me Puke. I am not kidding the least about this. The really amazing thing was looking around the bus and noticing that not one person on the bus seemed to be responding in any way. It might as well have been one of those nature tapes playing the sounds of waterfalls. It was crazy. The buses here, you just never know what you are getting into when you cross that door threshold and pay your fare.

We are now in the town of Isla Bastimentos in the Bocas Del Toro Island group on the Caribbean side of Panama. Beautiful rainforested islands that are picture perfect. Look up images on google if you think I am joking. I can see why so many gringos are packing up the retirement in the states and heading here. The cool thing is getting around by water taxi. Really reasonable rates, island to island is only $2 and they will drop you off at the surf for the same price. The town here is mainly black Caribbean culture with the main drag being a side walk down the middle of a shanty town right on this beautiful bay.

Advertisement



19th June 2007

It might be better than Rush Limbaugh
Sometimes it's better if you don't understand what they are saying. When will you guys be back in Florida?

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb