See Ya Bocas


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have been on the island of Bastimentos here in the Bocas Del Toro Island chain for the past three days and are planning on heading back over the mountains to David tomorrow morning to rent a car for a week. It has been an interesting stay as the town on Bastimentos has no road and loads of trash. The people speak a dialect that combines Indian and Spanish and were pretty friendly considering that they have a constant onslought of white people that they have no idea who they are walking on their sidewalk saying hi to them. After a few days you start to get to see the same people over and over, so that was kind of nice. Arisa and I hiked over the mountains through the rainforest to Wizard Beach, very beautiful and reminded me of the north shore of Kauai without anyone around. The really cool thing is that the island is a national park and has a species of red frog not found anywhere else. Arisa had a blast lurking in the bushes finding them and watching them as they fought each other for territory. I like that over here you have to take boats to get anywhere. Yesterday the surf was head high and really nice over on Isla Caranarra, so Arisa and I packed up the boards and headed over there for a couple of hours of fun. She ended up spending most of the time avoiding a bait ball of blue fish that followed her wherever she paddled. I caught some nice glassy, fun waves with three local guys out. Anyway, we are off to Santa Catalina. The surf is supposed to come up huge in a couple of days and that is the place to be on a big swell.

Advertisement



4th July 2007

Enjoying these Journals.
Mark, I'm a bit late to the party, but enjoying the show. I'm back from vacation on Chappaquiddick Island and while I had my own encounter with the local rat community, it is neither as dramatic or funny as your shower story.

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb