Welcome to the Caribbean!


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Red Frog BeachRed Frog BeachRed Frog Beach

Who let her on to our beach?!
K - We are currently on Bocas del Toro, a beautiful archipelago on the Caribbean side of Panama and are basically having a little vacation after a whole 5 days of traveling! I can't rid myself of the feeling that this is somehow wrong and that "traveling" should be nitty and gritty and dirty and tiring and that sipping rum cocktails on the beach doesn't really count!

Boca is a beautiful, laid back place - it reminds me of the Greek Islands about 25 years ago - just enough infrastructure to make sure you can get a cold beer when you want one but with a rough and ready charm and local hotels and restaurants rather than big chains. You travel out here on a water taxi and we are in a lovely little hotel about 3 miles out of town - with the best food in town as far as I can gather. We are blowing the nitty gritty travel budget big time but its worth it! Chilled doesn't begin to cover it. The beaches are unspoiled and v beautiful- we walked to one on Tuesday where we were the only people on a 4 mile long beach.

Panama has however raised the stakes on the bug side. This Rhinoceros Beetle landed on the bar in between our drinks!

Back to reality tomorrow - we are heading straight for Nicaragua which will involve 2 long bus journeys - a 6 hour plus one to San Jose Costa Rica and then an 8 hour straight into Nicaragua. Its seems bizarre to be bypassing Costa Rica when everyone says it is great but we only have 3 more weeks to explore and we feel that Nicaragua, Honduras and Guatemala have more unusual experiences to offer.

Wish us luck!












Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb