I don't want any "monkey business"


Advertisement
Nicaragua's flag
Central America Caribbean » Nicaragua
January 25th 2016
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 12.8654, -85.2072

Ometepe Totcoco Eco Loge

Status Report..."star date 25.01.2016" .....The Enterprise has entered a previously forgotten galaxy where life is easy, scenary draw dropping and the trials and tribulations of Western society seem "light years" away!! ....Life is good...very good........."but not as we know it Jim".....something is wrong....very wrong.....Friday is approaching at warp speed and we can't stop it! ......The Klingon battle cruiser (aka a United Airline 787) is "Cloaked" but ready to transport us back to planet UK where locals pile their horrid little cars full of "stuff" and drink blue fizzy drink.........However, we have enough "dilithium crystals" to last another 3 nights.....Helmsman Sydney is behaving strangely since he left "PEPITO"....we are concerned....

Luckily "Bones" has found medicine that can help alleviate our distress leaving this paradise (in the short term)...."rum".....and supplies are are readily available. The only immediate side effect being a general sense of wellbeing and temporary but significant loss of speech!

Totococo Eco Lodge is a Dutch Venture Capital project founded by Marteen.......(a dead ringer for Aragorn from the Lord of the Rings). He and his wife have created paradise......but with a twist. The front of shop is rather like Robinson Crusoe crossed with Jurassic Park and Bora Bora in the South Pacific.......but behind the scenes there are ingenious homemade sewage filtration systems that bubble and gurgle.... made out of dustbins and plastic pipes and run through the acres of jungle to a large septic tank only to be reused on the crops.....The Lodge grows its own fruit and veg having restored the ex 6 hectare rice field to sub-tropical rain forest by hand. It is not connected to the electricity grid and home made "bio gas" is used for cooking produced from previous residents !OOH .....water is supplied from the volcanic springs that flow from the crater high above us.

Our thatched bungalow is totally eco friendly.....solar powered...and equipped with an interesting Eco WC.......a full height "drop" system incorporating a strange orange plastic funnel and a bowl of scented wood clippings plus a trowel....
SPIDER ALERT!!.... still mindful of the Malaysian huntsman spider incident in 1999.....(you may recall I had a torrid night spent in the jungle surrounded by a moat of insect repellant)....I am always vigilant in this sort of "bug infested" environment.....shortly after arrival I spot a small but deadly looking spider poised just behind our four poster bead....Cathy to the rescue with a glass and piece of paper!

Tomorrow we retrace our steps back to the mainland and head for another Eco Lodge that is carved high into the rocks overlooking the Pacific Ocean.....Morgans Rock.......it proudly announces that there is no Internet or phone signals...... so please bear with me!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



26th January 2016

It looks as if you're having such a hard time of it x
26th January 2016

Gulp. Does this end up on your fruit salad the next day?

Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb