"gwood mornin myster Jonafon"


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 11.249, -85.8633

Puff and blow!...drip......"only a few more steps to go Sir"....."fantastic view.....Sir"......stop....rest...........heart rate down from 400 bpm to 300bpm.....I feel like a Christmas pudding in a blast furnace..........over 150 steep steps and a swing bridge are involved to get to our lofty abode.........we meet a "soft shoed" retired Canadian couple half way up who are billeted in the low level bungalows.....cheekily they remark that we will be "in shape" in a few days.......their varacous veins throb in the bright sun......we are in bungalow 14.....there are only 15.......we collapse through the heavy teak front door of our part open air...part tree house style bijou tazanesque pad which will be our home for the final three nights.

The journey from Ometepe to Morgan's Rock was relatively straight forward despite an hours delay on the jetty...........but this time it was on a smaller ferry.....a much smaller ferry......with non existent "elf and safety" .......involving a large fruit lorry strapped on the back of the open deck.......held stable by straps......not enough seats for passengers........so we had to stand on the side decks only a couple of feet above water level.......

We bid our farewells to Elvis and assure him we will be back.........


TIME CHECK: 0615 Thursday 28th January. I am again "perched" high in on the wooden terrace of our bungalow overlooking the Pacific Ocean some 300m below. The waves crash onto the sandy beach that stretches out in a wide crescent before us...Various "SMALLS" dry to a crisp in the tropical breeze!......a strange looking fiddler crab enters stage left before exiting under a bamboo fence............The nearest land mass (of any significance) due West of us is Japan and Indonesia.......at least 14 hours by 747-400!!!!

Our split level pad is " at one" with nature......no glass in sight just bug mesh......and trust me we have regular "attacks"........it is a solid hard wood affair with bamboo plumbing and two huge fans that slowly turn in the tropical fug.....

At our new billet we have been assigned a "personal assistant"......"Charlie" a baby faced 21 year Creole lad who talks like Bob Marley after several splifs and a shed load of Ganja/Mount Gay rum......he we would not look out of place as a hit man in the ghettos of Rio.....however, he is the total opposite....charming and really helpful......" Gwood mornin myster Jonafon"....mon....ru hav' ne'er kool day!".....iszer anfin u wunt......don't ezitate to say! RUngoin der hang luse or dwant dergo on tour de see de Monkey!.....I reply in my best Epsom College English....."well my man.....that is amost efficacious offer and quite a fascinating prospect"........."Ital be me plesuure myster Jonafon".....

Amongst the inmates of our Eco resort are a couple of poker faces Brits wearing Dr Scholl Sandals and covered in Timothy Whites suntan lotion......and a group of "lettuce noshing stick thin girls" from New York State who are on a "yoga retreat".......consisting of 8 days of "juice" and sitting cross legged on the beach saying "OM".......whilst we naturally finish off the rum supplies and tuck into the full Nicaraguan breakfast... ...however, they are actually really fun and have made friends with Sydney....who seems to draw crowds around the whole country!

Morgan's Rock "Eco Resort"......is designed by a British architect but owned by a wealthy French family and is a superb low rise thatched open air "Uber retreat"........... .We met the owners yesterday and they are absolutely delightful..........after a superb sunset cruise on his "MOTOR LAUNCH".........a stocky wooden affair called " The Argonought" and reminiscent of the "Boat" on JAWS we tuck into grilled shrimp in the open terrace restaurant. This morning we "tootle" up the beach in the blazing sun...Cathy is on Iguana watch as she swings from her hammock...

The last couple of days have been shockingly decadent.... trying out all the beach furniture.....and just soaking up the relaxed atmosphere..........

The "Sands of Time are running through"!

Like King Canute sitting on the beach trying to hold back the tide we pretend that we are ready to leave this fantastic country..........despite a torrid recent history involving bloody civil war, hurricanes and earthquake, Nicaragua cannot fail to impress. It has everything you could ask for in a "soft adventure" holiday.......fabulous scenary.........exceptionally exotic wildlife........wonderful vibrant Colonial Towns and fab Hotels......but above all, a people who are "generous of spirit" and are delighted to share their Country..........we will return be assured....




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



29th January 2016

Fab photos and great yarns J. As always, wish I was there. Much love to both of you.
31st January 2016

Another wonderful adventure. A pleasure to be with you. Thank you.Chris

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb