Ometepe - In the middle of the lake.


Advertisement
Published: November 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

So next stop was Ometepe. This is an island in the middle of Lake Nicaragua, the largest lake in central Ameria and home to freshwater sharks! The island has 2 volcanos, 1 active, the other not.

The first thing we had to tackle was the border in to Nicargua. hanks to our wonderful guide this went smoothly in a place where I would have been well and truely lost. A short taxi ride took us to the port.
After a rather wet and not very smooth boat trip we arrived at the island, and then at our luxury lake view accomodation. The evening was spend waiting what felt like forever for our dinner and then sleeping!

We had 1 day on the island and as much as I wanted to climb a volcano stories of how tough the 12km hike was put me off. Instead Manuela and I walked to a waterfall. The walk in the heat was hard, and once out of the forest and planatations the surroundings were not that great. But dispite Niagra falls ruining most waterfalls for me it was nice. We also got to drive half way around the island getting a taste of Nicargua, which is less developed, and has far less tourism then Costa Rica. We then also stopped off at a natural spring for a dip!

Once back I relaxed watching the sunset over the lake from our balcony.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



23rd November 2007

Wimp!
Snowdon was 16km!!!
24th November 2007

Sunset
Good pictures Louise especially the one of the sunset which I have nicked for my desktop background at work. Glad you are enjoying yourself. See you soon. Love dad XX

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb