Kayaking to Monkey Island


Advertisement
Published: October 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The morning was a lovely day and so after breakfast we set out to lake Cocibolca for a bit of kayaking through the tiny islands near Granada known as Las Isletas. When first touring these islands it's best to do it on boat which I had done 6 weeks before. But once you've got your bearings and won't get lost, it's far more pleasant to go at your own pace in a kayak that silently cuts through the water allowing you to observe the wildlife without the buzz of a motor.

We picked up a two person kayak from the nice fellow at Inuit (it's a bit of a walk from Granada but a cab should only cost a dollar each person) and were off, gliding along to coast with the current at our back. When we entered the Isletas the paddling became easier because you don't have to deal with any current at all. We sailed past mansions and hotels, saw the colonial fort from the water (you can pay $1 to go on that island), and past the awesome restaurant on an island (I had a great fish lunch there last time I visited) to the island known as Isleta de los Monos. The story goes that a veterinarian who lives on one of the nearby islands, but these 4 monkeys on this island and feeds them, but I don't see why he needs to feed them, as every tourist boat does the same. They monkeys are so eager for food they come right down to you hoping for a treat. If you wanted you could reach out and touch them from the kayak, though it's not advised as they might bite you, thinking you're the treat. Robyn was delighted by the monkeys (one of their names is Capuccino and one of them doesn't have a tail) and agreed that it was worth the work of paddling to get out here. Frankly I think she was amazed I remembered where it was.

We made our way back, which was a work out, because we were fighting the current. I'll be sore from this for a few days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1143s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb