Oldest City In The Americas


Advertisement
Published: October 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Iglesia La MercedIglesia La MercedIglesia La Merced

Built in 1534 Burned and rebuilt in 1670 - still old yo!
We were hoping to go on a bird-watching hike this morning in Ometepe but it was raining like hell at 6AM so we cancelled. Caught the 9:15 bus to Altagracia which then goes on to Moyogalpa and off on our way up to Granada for a $22 cab fare. Hard to imagine that you´d spend more than $22 going from wall-street to 76th in NYC but here it takes you half way across the country (66kilometers anyway).

Granada is a quaint town (for Nica, don´t expect Kinsale Ireland) , and the oldest continously occupied city in the Americas. Colonial, some original, some restored, abounds and lends the city a colorful flavor best viewed from the belltower of Merced Church (which I hope to make it up to at sunset one day).

In our Hostel Oasis we were surprised that a double costs us $28 in low season. I don´t think they have to change their prices much at this hostel since it has such an international reputation. We asked around and decided to move tomorrow to Hotel Cochinbolca because there we can get basically the same room in a better part of town for $15/night.

We walked Granada and found the charming Garden Cafe where we just chilled till they were closing around 3PM.

For dinner we tried to find Europa Cafe but had some trouble so we made our way down to Mona Lisa for pizza but it was dead there so we doubled back to the Pizza Nove? which was not as good but had better ambience. Granada is not the party town that San Juan del Sur is, so we took it easy and watched a movie in the evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb