Leon


Advertisement
Published: February 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our Arrival

The minibus from Managua UCA dropped us at a bus station North of the town. A taxi or pedalo to the centre costs C$20 each.



Where We Stayed

Bigfoot Hostel - $6 for a fan dorm or $8 for an aircon dorm. Dorms are very dark but come with massive lockers (BYO padlock). Marketed as a party hostel but the bar closes at 11pm. For those who want to continue the party the staff show you to another bar in town which stays open later. Has a restaurant and can book tours.

Lazybones Hostel - $8 for a dorm. There is a swimming pool and breakfast is available.

Hostal Madrid - $16 for a double room with TV and private bathroom. One block North from the cathedral on Central Avenue.

What We Did

Volcano boarding - $30 through bigfoot hostel. A must do when in Leon. Includes speed timing, tshirt, beer, photos put on facebook and a mojito. Don't take much with you as what you take up you have to bring down when boarding.

Telica Hike - $50 through bigfoot hostel. Watch the sunset from the top of a volcano, see lava in the bottom of the volcano, includes water and dinner. The 4WD track to where the walk starts is very bumpy.

Visit the Cathedral - to the left of the altar are some wooden doors, pay the lady and she will show you up to the Cathedral roof with views of the neighbouring volcanoes.



Where We Ate

In the evening behind the Cathedral BBQ's set up. Pick what you want and a big plate is C$100.

You can buy quesillos, fruit and shaved ice with syrup around the square and supermarket.

West of the Cathedral you can get a big burger for C$50 from the stands.

In the market behind the Catheddral you can get a meal for C$25-C$50.



Where We Went Next

A taxi to the bus station cost C$20 each. To get to Granada we took a minibus to Managua UCA and changed there to another minibus to Granada.

The next time we were in Leon after checking out we walked up to 2a Calle NE and were lucky enough to be there when a blue truck (the local bus around town) pulled up shouting for the bus terminal. This cost C$4 each and took a ratherly loopy journey to the bus terminal. This time we went to Esteli. At the bus station we asked a couple of people but it seemed that the buses to Esteli only left hourly in the afternoon. There were minibuses leaving but had to wait about an hour before 1 left. It left at 11:25am cost C$70 and arrived at 1:45pm.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb