Shopping – Jamaican style


Advertisement
Jamaica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Jamaica » Negril
March 19th 2014
Published: March 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Whilst George went off to get some cold drinks, water, and milk for the morning tea and coffee etc., Theresa did the unpacking. We are going to be very comfortable here for the next eight days.

As we have had no laundry facilities since we left the cruise ship, we were pleased to see that they had a large washing machine here, and a line to hang clothes to dry on. We were originally told this was free, but were later told it was chargeable, but not sure how much. There is a still a possibility of no charges. We really do not mind.

We did one load of washing whilst we got ourselves showered, and then put another load in to wash whilst we were out. We did not realise that this was the only machine in the hotel so is used for all the sheets and towels from the rooms. By the time we got back, one of the kind ladies from the hotel had hung out the second load and it was nearly dry.

George has been struggling with a different pain in his back for most of this holiday, then yesterday, he developed what we now know is a severe nasty allergic reaction to various bites, in two places, so we are heading to the chemist. The malaria risk here does not justify malaria medication. We checked this out very comprehensively before leaving home.

We asked at reception about the nearest chemist and were told that it was in the village, but we would need to take a taxi to get there. Thinking that this was just the hotel trying to make some money from us, we set off to walk. After about a mile, we decided that we were probably too tired to walk too far, so asked the next taxi that passed (and there were loads of them) how much he would charge for a journey to the pharmacy. We thought the US $4 ride was a very fair price and hopped in.

Jamaica has its own Dollar currency too and the exchange rates are very different. Jamaican 500 Dollars is about $5 US. We wil be very careful with this.

The pharmacist was very helpful and advised which various creams he needed for the various issues he had.

We have tried several times to send out a few select post cards using an internet site that we have used many times in the past, but have not been able to get it to work at all during this trip. Today we decided to bite the bullet and buy some postcards and send them the traditional way using a biro through the normal mail. After finding the cards, we also searched out the post office, only to find they only take Jamaican dollars, and we only have USA dollars, so a quick visit to the cash machine is needed to get some Jamaican currency. As we do not have the addresses with us for the cards, we decide we will return to the post office tomorrow to get the stamps once the cards are written.

The main shopping area of Negril is very chaotic and interesting. The very hard sell is very prevalent. You have to have your sharp wits about you at all times, but it looks like you can buy anything here, including most illegal drugs, not that we would go there. We do not condone substance abuse, but the locals look very happy here. Ladies need to cover up and maintain tight control of handbags and valuables. Going out at night does not look like something we will be doing a lot.

Jamaica has strong English routes and they drive on the left with right hand drive vehicle. This is not the case in some of the other Caribbean Islands we have visited.

We had a quick stop for lunch then headed over to the supermarket to stock up on drinks for the room. As we had opened drinks in hand, we thought it best if George stayed outside and Theresa went inside to buy the items we needed, but George watched her all the time from the exit door.

Once completed, a guy outside offered us a taxi back to the hotel, but said it would be US $20, which we knew was way too high. We managed to negotiate this down to US $6, but he did not seem happy. When we got to the hotel, Theresa got out first and retrieved our shopping from the boot, and then George got out and paid the guy. We were a little worried that if we both got out he may drive off with our shopping.

This evening we ate in the hotel restaurant. We each had Jamaican chicken and chips. It looks like we had a whole chicken between us. Theresa had her first Jamaican traditional Red Stripe beer to wash it down with.

The restaurant is only small with probably only seats for about 10. Whilst we were in there this Jamaican guy came in with a black bag. Neither of us realised what was in the bag, and did not recognise the smell, so Theresa asked what it was. It turned out to be freshly cut Marijuana. We did not buy any, but we did learn how easy it is to buy it here. Our seats for the evening were next to the exit, and it was interesting to see people walking around with these little black bags, which we now know are likely full of some sort of drugs.

This was end of our first day in Jamaica, and what an enjoyable experience we have had.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb