"Ting and Vodka"


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Get up early, Clifton will be here between 7:30 and 7:45am to pick us to to be at the office at 8am. He arrives at 7:35am. The woman that runs the guesthouse asks if she can speak with our driver because when he picks us up so early we miss breakfast. We tell her no.

Go into work at 8am (as we were told to), and NO ONE is there. Get locked out of the PAHO/WHO office b/c our security badge only gets us through one set of locked doors. Wait until our driver comes in and gets us in the second set of doors.

Work. Email. Eat lunch (cup o' noodles -- keith has the Jamaican version that comes with the fold-up fork -- I am super jealous. Again we discuss the brilliance behind the fold-up fork).

Go with the driver out to Red Hills (west of downtown Kingston) to check out a possible housing option. Turns out it is in a nice part of town...but it comes complete with a 110 year-old-woman...that moves about as quickly as the earth rotates. We look around the house, while our driver leaves his number with her incase she needs "security" or a driver down to the city -- he takes one of the mangos off her tree. We thank her and awkwardly leave. Ummm...WTF?

He drops us off at home, which means we get home early from work! YAY! Enough time to explore New Kingston a bit more in the daylight. We go to all of the fancy hotels (and see white people), and stop at a couple of bookstores. Try to eat at a Chinese place, which turns out to be this random hole-in-the-wall where I feel like I got food poisioning just by walking through the doors. Leave without eating.

Try to find a place to eat that Keith thinks he saw, but isn't sure.... We walk there -- and it turns out to be this shopping area with a bar (maybe a resturant -- not sure).
Leave.

Walk home.

Drink Malta (a malt non-alcoholic beverage). Discuss.

Walk down the street to this sports bar, which ends up being not a sports bar, but it's on the roof so the view is amazing. They serve me, but ignore Keith. We eventually order dinner, and are told that half of the menu is unavailable as are the mixed drinks b/c the bartender has not yet arrived to work. Order something else. 10-15 mins later, server comes back to say that what we ordered to eat is unavailable. The entire menu is unavailable except for fish or chicken wings. We both pass on dinner. Pay the bill, and leave.

Go to Indies resturant -- across the street from our place. Have the same server we always do, except our usual table is taken by some group of British Gentlemans Club (I decided this -- so take it with a grain of salt). Our waitress remembers what we drink and eat. I try Ting and Vodka (per reccomendation of my sister-in-law). Eat dinner. Go home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb