Adventures and Misadventures in Honduras


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

When I originally put together the plans for my trip I wanted to see how feasible it would be to travel around the world over land and sea, without flying. I have stayed true to the plan up to this point, traveling overland from Atlanta, through Mexico and Belize and it has been very rewarding, but I have now decided to make some slight changes to my plan. Realizing that it took me considerably ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Stela N and the Ruined StairsStela N and the Ruined Stairs
Stela N and the Ruined Stairs

Stela N was one of my favorites at Copan and its placement in front of the ruined stairs of the Temple of Inscriptions gives it an excellent back drop.
Jungle and Vines Jungle and Vines
Jungle and Vines

The trees and vines growing on the ruined staircase of the Temple of Inscriptions were impressive.
A Big TreeA Big Tree
A Big Tree

Some of the trees growing out of the structures were massive.
An Ancient SmileAn Ancient Smile
An Ancient Smile

This was a comical carving that was located near the top of the Temple of Inscriptions.
A View from the Top of the Temple of InscriptionsA View from the Top of the Temple of Inscriptions
A View from the Top of the Temple of Inscriptions

The Temple of Inscriptions was named after the hieroglyphics covering its walls. This is a veiw of the main plaza from the top.
A Beautiful CountrysideA Beautiful Countryside
A Beautiful Countryside

The countryside surrounding Copan was very green and beautiful.
Chac MasksChac Masks
Chac Masks

This structure seemed to be a tribute to the architectural styles of the Yucatan with the giant Chac masks and a large, but ruined monster-mouth doorway.
Detailed GlyphsDetailed Glyphs
Detailed Glyphs

The carvings surrounding this doorway are reproductions (the originals are in the museum), but they are still very impressive.
The Sun God?The Sun God?
The Sun God?

The big eyes seem to be a common trait for carvings of the sun god, so this may be one of those.
The Rosalila TempleThe Rosalila Temple
The Rosalila Temple

This is the best view of the Rosalila Temple from inside the Rosalila tunnel. The temple was very well preserved because it was covered with later constructions.
The Tomb Inside the Jaguares TunnelThe Tomb Inside the Jaguares Tunnel
The Tomb Inside the Jaguares Tunnel

This is one of the tombs that were found when the archaeologists build the exploratory tunnels throughout Copan. This is in the Jaguares Tunnel, one of two that are open to the public.
The Facade of Structure 22The Facade of Structure 22
The Facade of Structure 22

The facade of Structure 22 was uncovered in the Jaguares Tunnel. There were several well preserved stucco masks in there.
One of the MasksOne of the Masks
One of the Masks

There were a few well preserved examples of this mask in the Jaguares Tunnel. I think this is supposed to represent a macaw.
Ancient PlumbingAncient Plumbing
Ancient Plumbing

The structures at Copan had a fairly elaborate drainage/plumbing scheme.
Another View of the Ball Court's ArchAnother View of the Ball Court's Arch
Another View of the Ball Court's Arch

This was a view of the arch that I got as I came back around to the main plaza from the river cut that the Jaguares Tunnel exits into.
Stela NStela N
Stela N

This was my favorite side of Stela N. I sat on the stairs for quite a while studying this sculpture.
Miscellaneous Sculpture (1)Miscellaneous Sculpture (1)
Miscellaneous Sculpture (1)

Some more of the impressive sculptures from Copan.
Miscellaneous Sculpture (2)Miscellaneous Sculpture (2)
Miscellaneous Sculpture (2)

Some more of the impressive sculptures from Copan.
Miscellaneous Sculpture (3)Miscellaneous Sculpture (3)
Miscellaneous Sculpture (3)

Some more of the impressive sculptures from Copan.
Miscellaneous Sculpture (4)Miscellaneous Sculpture (4)
Miscellaneous Sculpture (4)

Some more of the impressive sculptures from Copan.
A TombA Tomb
A Tomb

This is a fairly elaborate tomb in Structure 18.



17th July 2006

wonderful stories and pictures
I spent 2 weeks in Copan Ruinas last March ( I stayed with a family and went to school to study Spanish) and enjoyed the low key bustle of the town. One of my host sisters runs the snack bar at the ruins and she helped me get a ticket. Unfortunately, the sculpture musuem was closed for renovations. The day I visited there were very few tourists and at times I was the only one there. I revel in that just as you seem to do. I also visited Gracias just because I liked the name. I was fortunate to have one of my host sisters and her husband drive me ( I paid them well) and it was worth every penny. I was glad I went to see a town without tourists. I ,too, went on to Antigua and ws there for Semana Santa. Thanks for your great pictures.
19th July 2006

awesome
Your pictures are great - thank you for sharing
20th July 2006

Still watching
Still keeping an eye out on you, Keith. How travel can really change each of us!
19th October 2007

my country
hello well i saw this site cause one girl sent me a coment telling me about his site,and im very glad that you came to my coubntry and could see the copan ruinas i a very beautiful place! and we have a lot of tourist places like bay island,cueva de taulabe,cueva de talguat,well a lot of places to see,thanks for sharing all that beautiful pic and that people cann see how beautiful is my country,good luck!!
22nd October 2007

Very Proud!!!
I'm from Honduras, I live in Honduras, and I have visit the ruins of Copan, let me tell you this is the first time I ave read such a detailed and perfect description of a visit to Copan. I'll tell this to everyone...everithing is true, before I went there for the first Time, I thought it was no big deal, I actually, wasn't that excited in travelling around my country, but afetr i visited the Ruins everything change, tehy are very Pretty, it's worth thae trip.

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb