Adventures and Misadventures in Honduras


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

When I originally put together the plans for my trip I wanted to see how feasible it would be to travel around the world over land and sea, without flying. I have stayed true to the plan up to this point, traveling overland from Atlanta, through Mexico and Belize and it has been very rewarding, but I have now decided to make some slight changes to my plan. Realizing that it took me considerably ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Me in Another TombMe in Another Tomb
Me in Another Tomb

This is the tomb I found in a residential area that I had to climb down into to get to some unsightly trash.
Altar QAltar Q
Altar Q

This is one of the most famous carvings at Copan. The original is located in the museum. The carvings depict sixteen of Copan's most important rulers.
Scarlet MacawsScarlet Macaws
Scarlet Macaws

These endangered birds are also Honduras's National Bird and a large group of them live at the ruins (I can think of worse cages to be trapped in!)
Las SepulturasLas Sepulturas
Las Sepulturas

This is part of one of Las Sepulturas's most famous carved benches. I lost most of my Las Sepulturas pictures as well.
A Very Green SiteA Very Green Site
A Very Green Site

This is the opening I found the machinegun toting guard in (taking a picture of him would not have been smart!) Most of Las Sepulturas was similar in appearance.
A Mirror in the ForestA Mirror in the Forest
A Mirror in the Forest

The flooded jungle trail that I walked down in Las Sepulturas was very picturesque in places.
A Parting View of HondurasA Parting View of Honduras
A Parting View of Honduras

Honduras is a place I will definitely have to return - I didn't see nearly enough in my week.



17th July 2006

wonderful stories and pictures
I spent 2 weeks in Copan Ruinas last March ( I stayed with a family and went to school to study Spanish) and enjoyed the low key bustle of the town. One of my host sisters runs the snack bar at the ruins and she helped me get a ticket. Unfortunately, the sculpture musuem was closed for renovations. The day I visited there were very few tourists and at times I was the only one there. I revel in that just as you seem to do. I also visited Gracias just because I liked the name. I was fortunate to have one of my host sisters and her husband drive me ( I paid them well) and it was worth every penny. I was glad I went to see a town without tourists. I ,too, went on to Antigua and ws there for Semana Santa. Thanks for your great pictures.
19th July 2006

awesome
Your pictures are great - thank you for sharing
20th July 2006

Still watching
Still keeping an eye out on you, Keith. How travel can really change each of us!
19th October 2007

my country
hello well i saw this site cause one girl sent me a coment telling me about his site,and im very glad that you came to my coubntry and could see the copan ruinas i a very beautiful place! and we have a lot of tourist places like bay island,cueva de taulabe,cueva de talguat,well a lot of places to see,thanks for sharing all that beautiful pic and that people cann see how beautiful is my country,good luck!!
22nd October 2007

Very Proud!!!
I'm from Honduras, I live in Honduras, and I have visit the ruins of Copan, let me tell you this is the first time I ave read such a detailed and perfect description of a visit to Copan. I'll tell this to everyone...everithing is true, before I went there for the first Time, I thought it was no big deal, I actually, wasn't that excited in travelling around my country, but afetr i visited the Ruins everything change, tehy are very Pretty, it's worth thae trip.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb