Maya Ruines


Advertisement
Published: July 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Maya StelaMaya StelaMaya Stela

They were used to record events such as the reign of a king.
Copan was my intoduction to the world of the maya. And a good one! With a little bit of everything it is certainly a good place to start exploring maya ruins. Some ruins are covered in jungle, some are fully excavated and rebuild. There are steep steps, a pyramid, a place for the maya ball game with the stone ring, nice stone carvings and several stelae. Colorful parrots fly around the ruins.
Though it is touristically quite developed, the nearby mountain village with the same name has kept its charming atmosphere. Most of the accomodation is build into the traditional houses. In the narrow cobblestone streets many artisans offer their work and in small restaurants I could taste the local food. In the evening the central plaza filled with people to the sounds of a marimba band.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

HeadHead
Head

Seems a bit toothless, this guy...
ParrotParrot
Parrot

These colorful bird flew around the ruins. But I think they were held in cages at the entrance during the night.
Central PlazaCentral Plaza
Central Plaza

I believe the carved stone in the front is kind of an altar.
Pyramid CornerPyramid Corner
Pyramid Corner

The typical step structure.
Marimba BandMarimba Band
Marimba Band

In the evening in Copan some festival took place.


Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 35; qc: 179; dbt: 0.1356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb