Utila


Advertisement
Published: July 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The CarribeanThe CarribeanThe Carribean

Utila's small lighthouse on top of the airport reef.
For a visit to the Caribbean coast I chose Utila.

Already on the ferry boat I met a German guy and in the last moment before the ferry departure Freja and Mai, the Danish girls also came on bord. Together with Freja I took some dive lessons at cross creek divers and we both finished the Advanced Open Water Diver. From the nature point of view the underwaterworld in Utila is rather disappointing. Still we had god fun because of the course tasks and a wreck dive.

Me and the German guy also stayed with cross creek divers. Their nice accomodation is build on a wooden platform over the lagoon of Utila. Small wooden houses with hammocks in the front give the place a laid back feeling. In general the island is a calm place. The local seem a bit like a bunch of dropouts mixed into the typical Garifuna culture of the Caribbean.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

WaterWater
Water

Whatever you like, diving, snorkeling, and swimming. Utila offers it all.
Utila PrincessUtila Princess
Utila Princess

Utila's ferry.
Divemasters HouseDivemasters House
Divemasters House

Divemasters house at my dive school Cross Creek Divers.
Pirates MapPirates Map
Pirates Map

Utila and its cayes.
Air Tank ShelterAir Tank Shelter
Air Tank Shelter

The whole dive school was build onto wooden planks over the lagune.
Going DivingGoing Diving
Going Diving

In the early morning we were setting up our equipment.
Utila CayeUtila Caye
Utila Caye

Some small islands are just of to the west of Utila.
EveningEvening
Evening

While the students had to stick their nose into the PADI books the cats were chasing small crabs.
ResidentResident
Resident

Besides the black people living here I think Utila is also a place for odd people. This guy owned two large parrots and spoke to them as if they were his children.
Cafe MariposaCafe Mariposa
Cafe Mariposa

Just painted new it looked great next to the water side.
Lighthouse BarLighthouse Bar
Lighthouse Bar

The size of the Lighthouse Bar compared to the real lighthouse exposes a certain emphasis...


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb