Copan Ruinas


Advertisement
Published: November 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After an early wake up call from Fay at 6am, we run for the boat which is at last leaving the island. We get our tickets and run on board. Unfortunately there are too many people and Finan and James are deserted, while their mate Trevor makes it on. I get the blame of course! A very hungover hour later we arrive in La Ceiba and taxi it to the bus station. Luckily we have an hour wait till the direct bus to Copan so can have a delightful breakfast, my new favourite of beans, rice and eggs, Nicki and Fay are not as thrilled as me.

The bus is not too bad so I get some sleep at last but we have to change at San Pedro de Sula. We get off as they say they need to clean the bus but then it drives off with our bags! Slight panic, but it returns an hour later and all is fine. Another tough journey as Fay wants to chat the whole time, she is chatty after a boozy night and her ipod is broken. Nicki and I have now perfected the loud ipod, sleeping pose though, so Fay plays games on her own. We arrive in Copan about 6, shattered so take the first place offered, all they needed to do was say hot water!!! So for $5 each we get a private room, but Fay and I have to share a bed. We are feeling unhealthy so go to a great restaurant for soup, salad and no booze, far too much food though. Back for hot showers and straight to bed with a film on tv.
Another early morning to walk to the ruins, they are quite impressive and almost deserted, not touristy at all. We spend a couple of hours walking around, we even get to walk up them! Then back to catch our 12pm shuttle to Antigua. A comfortable minibus and very easy border crossing. Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras and El Salvador share a visa stamp so this speeds it up immensely. After 3 plays of the same CD that the driver owns we request the only CD we have on us, Regaeton!!! Fantastic, dancing for Fay and I, Nicki ipoded up and ignored us...
The traffic into and out of Guatemala city is worse than London, so that held us back an hour. Finally in Antigua and the lazy driver just dropped us in the centre and gave us directions, not what we paid for! We finally find the black cat hostel, very odd American guy at reception, but checked in, few drinks then early to bed again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Grand staircaseGrand staircase
Grand staircase

covered for protection


Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb