Antigua


Advertisement
Published: November 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bag of juice in the marketBag of juice in the marketBag of juice in the market

No cups or bottles!!!
The whole reason we rushed through Honduras to Antigua was for Halloween and Day of the Dead, we had hoped Mexico at the start of our journey but had no way near enough time! This was supposedly the next best place to celebrate.
After an early night we get up to ask everyone what the plan for the evening is, luckily it sounds like many people will dress up so after the best breakfast ever (Jimmy wasn´t lying when he told us that, The Black Cat does have the best breakfast) we head to the local´s second hand market. You could get lost in there for days. We pass the usual rows of tourist tat, leather goods, sewing accesories, meat and veg, then suddenly rows and rows of jumble sale like stalls. One stall is ready for us with costumes waiting, none that take our fancy though. Tristan opts for a teenage mutant ninja turtle suit and the rest of us decide to make something up from the random clothing. I have decided on wonder woman and Fay has decided on Marge Simpson... Luckily for us there is a red leotard and some blue wigs, a few accesories later and it´s
Halloweeen gangHalloweeen gangHalloweeen gang

Nymph, Marge, Wonder Woman, Ninja
back to the hostel to prepare (rum and coke already bought of course). I have webbed sequins and a glue gun and start the transformation, Fay starts with the yellow face paint... A few people are shown to our room to take the 2 empty beds but they all opt for other rooms!
A few hours later, and we surface. Wonder Woman (with whip and invisible aeroplane), Marge Simpson, Nymph and Ninja, we´re ready to party. Sadly the hostel is lacking in spirit, there are a few black cats (ha....ha...), aladdin and some tourists... sun blocked nose, socks and sandals, urgh!
We start at a bar over by the arches and then onto an Irish bar which has many more costumes. There is a huge queue to the club opposite so we get persuaded to go to another but we can´t move in there either. A long night without much dancing due to the crampness.
Obviously a hangover follows but another night out with some Aussies and Swedes, hilarious dancing and fun.
The markets of Guatemala are the cheapest in Central America and have slightly higher quality goods so I spend the afternoon buying souvenirs and gifts. Now my flight is changed to 19th Dec I need some xmas presents!!!
We´ve been here a while so I finally sign up to the volcano tour. Starting at 6am!!! While waiting for the bus an odd race passes me. First one man with a tray containing a stella, gatorade, cup of water and a juice, runs past me. I think someone must be thirsty. But he´s then followed by 5 more, then some women, I never found the reason for it... We drive about an hour out of the city and get greeted by about 50 kids selling sticks. My knees are pretty much good for nothing so I know I need to buy one, 5Q. We then pay the park entrance fee and start the hike, I have been told this is difficult but it turns out to be a 45minute walk up a hill, not tough at all, even with my cough. At the top there is a chilling wind so after some quick photos we start out way down the other side. This is much more tricky as it´s loose gravel and I am prone to slipping, so I do and land on my arse. A the bottom the lava field is in front of us. It´s mainly solid but still incredibley warm, jagged and hollow in places too. We carefully clamber over the lava, I obviously cut myself though. We are almost at the foot of the volcano and we are suddenly roasting, the moving lava is right next to us, we can poke it with our walking sticks and watch it roar and flare up. All done at speed though as to get that close is quite unbearable.
We trek back the way we came, and almost get lost as the group have gone ahead while I get filmed poking a stick into the lava. Quick lunch break then the whole hike in reverse. Back by 1pm for more souvenir shopping.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb