Omoa


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Northern » Omoa
April 25th 2014
Published: May 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our Arrival

The bus from Puerto Cortes was heading to the border with Guatemala so we got dropped off at the main road turn off to Omoa. It takes about 15 mins to walk to the beach from the road.



Where We Stayed

Roli's Place - L180 for a double with shared bathroom. We paid L250 for a double room with private bathroom. There are also dorms available. Rooms are spacious and have a TV. There is a kitchen, free drinking water and free bicycles and kayaks. The hostel is set in large gardens with hammocks, seating areas and a sun lounger. The area is great to chill out for a bit and lizard spot in the gardens, we also saw a scorpion. They have 2 friendly dogs and a guinea pig roaming the grounds. There is wifi but it doesn't make it to all the rooms. There are laundry sinks for washing clothes and washing lines and the location is right next to the beach.



What We Did

Visited the fort - $4 ($1=L21). Well restored fort with lots of cannons and cannon balls. Spanish only signed museum.

The main beach doesn't have much beach but there are other beaches a few mins walk away.

Hung out at the hostel - its a nice place to relax and catch up on all your bits and pieces.



Where We Ate

The hostel had a kitchen and there is a supermarket in a red and white building on the left just before you meet the main highway. It looks really new and there is currently no sign outside.

The waterside bars seem to sell beer for L25 each.



Views on Omoa

It is a pleasant town but needs a bit of clearing up. We ended up staying 2 nights as the hostel was a nice place to stay and we had lots of Lempiras left. The water is really clear but the beaches have a bit of rubbish on them. It got busy on the Saturday when were there. There are lots of biting insects so wear repellant and it is very hot/humid. Aparently there is an ATM in the garage on the main highway although we didn't use it. I would recommend staying here to break up the journey between Guatemala and the Bay islands.



Where We Went Next

We wanted to go to Livingston Guatemala. See the border crossing in the next post.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.701s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.3655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb