Teacher Training in Honduras


Advertisement
Published: August 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Gentle GiantsGentle GiantsGentle Giants

Jill and the tall Honduran dude we chased down to take a picture with Jill.
What a day. Yesterday we were informed by word of mouth from other teachers (there is no such thing as memos here), that we would be having an 8 hour inservice today at the school. We arrived at 8 in the library, but word of mouth had not informed us that the eight hour inservice training would be in Spanish without translators. For the first two hours before the break, all the teachers who did not speak spanish were forced to just sit there. Needless to say at the break there was a revolt and they did not return for the rest of the trainings. I however could not convince the principal that I did not speak Spanish and was forced to sit through 6 more hours of boring lectures about values and virtues. It might have been halfway tolerable if I didn't have so much to do in my classroom.

It only gets better, however, (or I guess worse). I was required to go to go to another meeting at the school this evening that was a parent meeting with a presentation about sex education (given by the same presenter that lectured for 8 hours earlier in the day). I was pumped to see what kind of presentation it was going to be, but it turned out to be a huge bust. The parents were cautioned about letting their children get too intimate with the same sex as it might lead to homosexuality and if your child is sexually active, you are a horrible parent and the worst thing you could do would be to give your sexually active child condoms. Also, when discussing sex with your children you should only talk about the biological aspects, not relationships or possible complications for disease or pregnancy. Interestingly enough, he started the presentation out by telling us and the parents how we were going to stop the rise in pregnancy and STDs. I've decided to rid Honduras of him by sending him to Texas where he could run and play with the others of his kind. (Sorry)

On a lighter note...on my way home with Chris and Sarah today from school, Sarah and I got whistled and cat called (the norm here) and Chris turned around and yelled to the guys in Spanish, "Thanks. You like man a**?" Which was hysterical. However, thinking back on it, we're lucky we didn't get shot.

One guy we don't ever mind saying hi too, however, is the guy that lives about 5 blocks away with his family that stands on the street corner with a plastic toy drum attached to his belt. We are told he has a mental disability, but he's the coolest guy we've met down here so far. The first day we saw him, we were looking at his plastic drum from across the street when Sarah tripped and almost crashed. He laughed and laughed and laughed. Now everytime we pass him on the street corner, he says hello and points and starts cracking up. At least we offer some amusement.

Finally, much to Jill's dismay, we tracked down a Honduran that was taller than she was. 6'8'' to be exact. We don't know what was in his water growing up, but holy cow. Anyhow, sick of people taking pictures of us, we asked if we could take a picture of him and Jill together. He was cool with it. I'll post the picture.

Well, off to bed. 8 more hours and I have to be back at the school. Last day of decorating and prep before the kiddies come on Monday. AAAAAH! (I'm excited).



Advertisement



26th August 2006

letter awaiting my arrival home...ugh
Yes, when I arrived home for the weekend, my letters from PHS/PhMS were waiting with scheduled inservices. Smiles for me!! "if" the 7-12 are combined under 1 principal, does that mean only 1 teacher meeting a month? BUT, I have one 6th grader and 6th grade is under the PES??? It will be interesting to see how this year is going to develop. ;-)

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb