Little Cay to Utila


Advertisement
Published: March 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Adios Little Cay!Adios Little Cay!Adios Little Cay!

Aboard boat #1 for the day.
Up early to enjoy our last few hours on the island. Glad we did the recon mission last night because we had crap everywhere! Literally everywhere. Now it's at least all within 2-3 rooms of the house.

We made a nice veggie omelet with some bacon on the side & toast. Tiki sat at the table again & asked for bacon. She got some of course. She's just too cute.

Then began the pack up. It didn't take too long thankfully & we were able to sit & enjoy the beach & watch the ocean for a bit longer. While watching the ocean we saw a pod of dolphins in the distance jumping & playing in the water. So that was a nice bonus.

There's an outside shower that has great water pressure & plus it's fun to shower outside right next to the beach & the ocean.

Barry's dad, George, showed up to pick us up, boohoo, & we headed off in his little fishing boat back for Captain Morgan's. We're going to get a free ride back to Utila with the dive boat this afternoon. Saved us lot's of $$ since they aren't charging us to take us back & forth from Jewel Cay where they live. Woohoo. Free transportation is the best.

At Captain Morgan's we sat on the dock & enjoyed the breeze one last time. We did some journaling, emails, the usual. I made another plate of nachos. I just love nachos. Had to utilize the kitchen & use up some of the rest of our food.

It has been sunny & hot & beautiful every day since we arrived in the Bay Islands. We are sooo lucky & super happy about our luck. And we are both really tan now. Yikes! We hope our luck continues until we head inland again that is for sure. It's been really super duper.

On the boat ride back to Utila we decided to go check out one of the dive shops to see if we could dive this afternoon. Only because we heard from our boat Captain, Harris, that 5 dive shops had seen Whale Sharks the day before. Once in Utila we lugged our heavy backpacks (full of leftover non-perishable food that really quickly adds up the lb's) down the main road, dodging motorcycles, scooters, golf carts & quads, & ended up at Utila Dive Center. Luckily we had made it just in time for their afternoon dive & they were heading to a spot called Black Hills that apparently is a big favorite of a lot of divers we've spoken with.

So, just like that we were back in a dive boat. It was a small group, which is always a treat, & our dive master Frankie was good. The dive site was really beautiful. It's like a huge stand alone mountain of coral in one spot. We saw our first Ocean Triggerfish & a ginormous school of Spadefish. Geoff swam under them & then through them & said it was one of his highlights of diving. I watched & it was pretty neat from my perspective too. It was a fun dive & I'm glad we made it out.

Back on the boat we headed out to sea in search of Whale Sharks. Sadly, none were to be found today but we did see a pod of Spinner Dolphins that we got to snorkel with. They got spooked pretty quickly & swam off but we saw them for a minute & they were beautiful! On our
Just finished diving Black Hills. Just finished diving Black Hills. Just finished diving Black Hills.

Now on the search for Whale Sharks.
way back to Utila another (or the same) pod of Spinner Dolphins swam up to the bow of the boat, while we were driving & swam & jumped along the bow. We hung over the bow & when they would jump we could touch their backs. It was so cool! Their skin feels like rubber. It was really fun. They were jumping & spinning all around the boat for a long while. That was a treat.

While paying our bill at the dive shop I asked if they had any rooms in their hotel. They said yes. I said how much? They said free. Sold! I love free rooms. The place we stayed that night is called Hotel Mango Inn & had a pool!! A swim in the pool after our long walk from the dive shop with overweighted backpacks was amazing. Our room was clean & free. What more could you ask for.

Geoff had a beer by the pool, I had some leftover wine we're lugging around. Must drink it, it weighs too much. 😉 We talked with a guy, Jason, from North Carolina (love his accent) whose staying in Utila to get his Dive Instructor Certificate. He showed us pics from his dives. Good times.

For dinner we walked into town & ate tacos at Will's Tacos. It's basically a streetside stand but they set up some makeshift tables in the dirt in an abandoned lot next to the road. Whatever works.

Back at the hotel we sat with Jason for a bit & ordered some french fries. I guess it's been too long without fried foods. Over a week!

Off to bed early enough. We're catching the ferry to La Ceiba tomorrow to head out to Cayos Cochinos, a group of islands south of the Bay Islands. For more diving! Supposed to be pretty spectacular so we are excited!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb