Grande Anse, Haiti


Advertisement
Haiti's flag
Central America Caribbean » Haiti
April 20th 2007
Published: April 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Grande Anse, Haiti. Waypoint 18º 34’.414N 073º 39’.353W

On Thursday, April 19th, we sailed back towards the south for a four day weekend of peace and new discovery. We spent the night on the shoreline of Bria, (who, by the way, are doing great). On Friday, we set sail, for a second time, to visit Grande Anse, a picturesque, palm tree covered, beach village which is located on the opposite shore from Bria. This is one of a few villages that takes great pride, which is shown by the cleanliness of the village and it’s surroundings. There is no trash lying in the streets and on the grounds and everything is kept clean and manicured. During this visit, the community congregated to clean up the beach near there village, as a team. This voluntary group effort is a sign of their will to change and improve their surroundings; something very important to see in Haiti. They are so optimistic and they wish to see more cruising boats drop by. They want to encourage outsiders and foreigners to come back, in a sense, promote their own tourism. They explained to us how they wish to show people how life takes place in there small village and also learn what others have to share. An exchange that would surely make their little town prosper. As most all the villages we have visited, they live off the sea and do the best they can in farming, but this added initiative on their behalf sets them apart from the rest. Kudos to them…

The teacher here is shared by the two villages, including the village of Bria. The difference here is that the school is well constructed, of bricks and has a tin roof, with some three classrooms.

Being only a short stop over, we lifted our anchor and continued our sail south for the city of Jérémie.

Since we have many pictures and thoughts to share, we will post different blog entries on each stop we made this past week.

Annie & Eric
In Haiti
Please keep posting your positive comments, they are so encouraging.
www.WeBeSailing.com




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



26th April 2007

Breathtaking
As I've been reading through your blog and gazing into the life of my adopted people. You've brought me to tears several times. You seem to tread so lightly and yet leave grand foot prints ( of hope) and ( friendship) This is what the internet is supposed to be!
4th November 2009

haiti cherie
mwen remen la grand Anse paske li pa jan gen bri fafil ok I like haiti because is good contry for me oak I love haiti cherie for life
31st December 2010
Grande Cayemite, Sailboats,

I love cayemites
11th October 2011
Southern Haiti Coast Line

Thanks for the pictures
I am from Haiti's Southern Cost. It's great to see those beautiful pictures. I am sure you have more that I would love to see. We should keep in touch. My number is 816-606-4485. Vesnel Francois.

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb