Literally Walking On Hot Coals / Caminando sobre brasas ardientes (literalmente)


Advertisement
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Guatemala


PACAYA: Glowing Lava / Lava ArdientePACAYA: Glowing Lava / Lava ArdientePACAYA: Glowing Lava / Lava Ardiente

And we went walking on that! ********* ¡Y nosotros nos fuimos de paseo por encima!
The trip into Guatemala was quite comfortable, on the front seats of a people carrier from where Mark enjoyed the views whilst Maria enjoyed chatting to the driver in Spanish. She was amused to hear that he had met many other Spaniards before and it always surprised him to note that none of us seemed to be able to speak Spanish properly, “like what we do”, and asked her why she thought this was. When she asked him exactly what he meant by “properly”, it turned out he had deduced that, since Spanish people speak with a different accent and use slightly different vocabulary to them, this could only mean they hadn't learnt the language well enough. She politely reminded him about that certain episode in history, when Spanish people had come along and taken any thing of value in exchange for language lessons, suggesting that if they spoke differently, it may well be because they hadn't learnt it properly? He seemed really surprised by this wholly new theory; he was also amazed to hear that people spoke with different accents even within Spain, apparently everyone in Guatemala speaks with the same accent (so he said at least). When we arrived at our destination, he thanked her for enlightening him and opening his mind to a new linguistic concept and departed, no doubt looking forward to sharing this new piece of knowledge with his close acquaintances.

We had arrived in the city of Antigua, which was the capital of Guatemala until 1773, when it was badly damaged in an earthquake. The city had only been founded in 1543 after an even earlier capital, Ciudad Vieja (only 5 kms away), was buried under a huge landslide 2 years earlier. Earthquakes had already shaken Antigua on a number of occasions, its buildings had frequently been destroyed and rebuilt, until the final disaster put an end to the reconstruction efforts and people moved to other parts of the country, mainly Guatemala City, which would become the new capital.

Today Antigua has recovered some of his old splendour, and it proves very popular with tourists, which come here by the bus load to learn Spanish (there are said to be 300+ international students at any time of the year), and to climb any of the nearby volcanoes that rise in the background.

We felt a bit nervous in Guatemala after reading not only the foreign office's website pages, but also our guide book, which talked about the high incidence of crimes against tourists in the country, ranging from street muggings to hijackings of buses on the most popular tourist routes, to robberies whilst climbing one of the many volcanoes. We know that both publications need to err on the side of caution (thus alarming the visitor perhaps a bit more than absolutely necessary), and although none of the travellers we talked to had had any problems in the country, we still felt uneasy. Amongst other things, they report that a few years ago a group of climbers had been relieved of all their possessions, money, cameras, jewellery, etc, down to the clothes on their backs, and had had to make their way back into town as naked as the day they were born. Now, we appreciate you would have found this an extremely entertaining blog entry to read had it happened to us, but you will hopefully forgive us for presenting you with a less colourful story...

To cut down on such crimes, there are now armed guards patrolling the path up the most popular volcano, Pacaya (2,552m / 8,370 feet),
TIKAL: Temple I (of the Great Jaguar) / Templo I (del Gran Jaguar)  TIKAL: Temple I (of the Great Jaguar) / Templo I (del Gran Jaguar)  TIKAL: Temple I (of the Great Jaguar) / Templo I (del Gran Jaguar)

The Great Plaza. 44m in height, ordered to be built by one of the rulers, whose tomb was discovered beneath the temple with a wealth of burial goods on and around his skeleton ********* La Gran Plaza. 44m de altura, construido por orden de uno de los emperadores, cuya tumba fue encontrada bajo el templo con ricos objetos funerarios sobre y alrededor de su esqueleto
and this is the one we decided to climb. The Pacaya Volcano has erupted around 20 times since 1565, and has erupted continuously since the mid 1960s. So we were hoping for a bit of a show (but a small one), and we were not disappointed.

First we were taken to the entrance to the national park in a van, where we paid the park fee and were assigned a guide. The climb was not too strenuous and we made it didn’t take long to get to the top (we didn't see any guards at all by the way), arriving just in time to see it... completely covered in fog. The fact that the crater, which is the biggest we'd seen yet (several kilometres across), was smoking heavily didn't help visibility either particularly. It was surprisingly cold up there too, so we were glad it didn't take too long for the fog to disperse, as we hadn't taken enough layers with us.

We wouldn't be cold for much longer though. The guide took us for a walk on the recently cooled down lava, in fact he assured us we were walking on lava that had been red hot
ANTIGUA: Cathedral / CatedralANTIGUA: Cathedral / CatedralANTIGUA: Cathedral / Catedral

It dates from 1680 after the first one was demolished in 1669 ********* Data de 1680 después de que hubiera que demoler la primera en 1669
only the day before. We weren't sure whether he was exaggerating a bit to add to the excitement of our experience, but we eventually decided that even if he was, it wouldn't be too far from the truth. As we walked, we looked down into the cracks we were stepping over and in some of them we saw it, glowing red hot just a few feet below us… molten lava. Smelling the slightly scorched rubber of your shoe soles when you stop for a bit too long, you can’t help but wonder if this is a safe and sensible exercise, realising the newly formed lava (which is light and brittle, almost like a Crunchie bar) might just give way at any moment and you could end up having an improvised hot, hot bath... and who’s to say the whole thing won't go “bang!”, sending everyone there to play a harp on a cloud? But to quote Reihold Messner, considered by some to be the greatest moutaineer of all time, “without the risk of death, adventure is not possible”.

We walked for what seemed like ages (it was probably just under 5 minutes) on one day old lava, some of it was beautifully shaped in waves and mounds, but mostly it was a sea of huge chunks of basaltic rock spewed from the crater, and we had to jump from one to the next praying we wouldn't lose our balance, as they looked (and were) very sharp. Our guide, who was jumping from rock to rock with the agility of a mountain goat, was a hundred meters ahead of us when he shouted “Lava!”. As if lead by a death wish, we all made a bee line for him, and although the bit of moving lava he found for us was not fast enough to bury us alive, being so close to it and feeling the immense heat generating from it was still a pretty incredible and memorable experience (you couldn’t get nearer than about 10 feet from it).

On the way down we did see 3 pairs of guards spread out along the way, but we wondered what was the point in that, when any robbers could have got us in the morning if they had wanted to, or in between “check points” even. Still, probably just the fact that they are there is enough to deter criminals, so we were glad to make it back to Antigua in one piece - and with all our clothes still on.

We spent one more day in Antigua just so Mark could suffer watching England being kicked out of the world cup after the dubious sending off and penalty kicks. Maria was full of sympathy for him (honest!), but at the same time relieved we didn't have to plan our bus journeys and day trips around the blinking football!! (and seeing that our time was limited, this was an added bonus).

We would have liked to visit Lake Atitlan, which is said to be in a beautiful setting, and the Chichicastenango market for a display of colours in the seller's clothes and their handicrafts, but Mexico was still a long way away and the clock was ticking away, so we decided to go north crossing half the country; 1 bus change and several hours later, we arrived in the small town of Flores for our second round of Maya ruins at the nearby site of Tikal.

After arriving at Tikal the next morning, we considered using a guide to take us around, as they can give you much more inside information about the site you’re visiting (although they also hurry you around the site so that they can get back to the entrance to find another group of paying tourists). We’d heard about tourists being involved in some nasty incidents at Tikal, including violent robberies (and worse) in secluded places in the middle of the jungle, so we asked a guide we’d been chatting to on the bus that brought us there if we should take a guide for the sake of security. He informed us that there hadn't been any incidents for the last five years, adding it was just a small group that had been committing the crimes, and adding “we got rid of the problem... literally”. We didn't dare ask what exactly he meant by that, but you're probably thinking what we did.

This same guide, upon hearing we were crossing into Mexico in a couple of days, asked us not to pay an exit fee at the border. He was really adamant that we did not accept the border official's demands for money, assuring us that such a “fee” was completely made up and illegal. He certainly seemed to feel very strongly about it, the point he made being not only that he thought it was disgusting that the corrupt officials shamelessly pocketed the tourists' money, but also that this was the kind of people that gave the rest of the country an undeserved bad reputation.

He seemed really nice and genuine and spoke very good English too, so we would've liked to take a guided tour with him, but it was very early and he wanted to wait until there were more tourists around to get a bigger group together, so we ended up going round on our own. Other than taking the wrong path at one point and walking 45 mins in the wrong direction, we had no other problems and quite enjoyed our visit. We also found Tikal to be much better value than Copan in Honduras. Not only was it almost half price to get in, but there is a lot more to see as well. The setting is more impressive too, being engulfed in thick jungle as far as the eye can see even from the top of the highest pyramids.

By 750AD, Tikal's nucleus covered a massive 65 sq km (25 sq miles) surface
PACAYA: Moving lava / Lava en MovimientoPACAYA: Moving lava / Lava en MovimientoPACAYA: Moving lava / Lava en Movimiento

Ben's one brave teddie! ********* ¡Ben es un osito valiente!
area. It was governed by a powerful dynasty of 30+ rulers until around 869AD. The main structures were built between 550AD to 900AD, although it is thought some other buildings date back to as early as 300BC. The temples are shrines to their (royal) dead; their roof combs used to be decorated with figures of the lords of Tikal. The stelae are also carved with figures of these kings and tell stories of their rise to power and the wars they fought. See the comments under the pictures for a bit more information!

Later that day we checked both our guide book and the internet for information on an exit fee out of Guatemala, but found nothing, so we took this as confirmation of what the guide had told us. When we got to the border post (a ramshackle cabin in the middle of nowhere) a day or two later, sure enough the official started to ask for money as he stamped the passports. Whilst he was dealing with the people in front of us, we scanned the room walls for any official looking paper that may prove the existence of exit fees, but found none. So when he
PACAYA: Moving lava / Lava en Movimiento PACAYA: Moving lava / Lava en Movimiento PACAYA: Moving lava / Lava en Movimiento

We're very brave too! ********* ¡Nosotros también somos muy valientes!
asked Maria to pay her fee, she refused point blank, saying she knew for a fact that people from the European Union did not have to pay any kind of fee. With a sideways glance to the armed guards outside, she kept her fingers crossed that he wouldn't call her bluff...

The official, obviously unimpressed by this unexpected answer, threw her a veiled insult by saying that it was typical of the Spanish to say that, that Spaniards never wanted to pay. When she replied that she was glad to hear that her co patriots refused to be taken advantage of, as opposed to the other poor tourists who didn't speak Spanish and couldn't put up a verbal fight, he waived her off telling her in a dramatic tone not to worry her pretty little head, that he would pay her fee “out of his own pocket”. Yeah, right. Did he really expect us to believe that??? He still tried to get some money off Mark, but after he also refused, telling him very clearly “no, I don't have to pay”, he had to resign himself to another string of refusals after we both explained to the rest of the group what the Tikal guide had told us. The others didn't have to refuse though, as the guy gave up pretty easily and simply stopped asking for the fee.

Victory!! It may have taken us several border crossings and being ripped off a few times, but we did manage to get back at the cheating, lying scum that staff the border controls. Hoorray!! Retaliation at long last! It felt sooooo good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

El viaje a Guatemala fue muy cómodo y casi podríamos decir de lujo - fuimos en los asientos delanteros de una furgoneta con otro puñado de turistas, de modo que Mark disfrutó de las vistas mientras que yo disfruté charlando con el conductor. Me hizo mucha gracia cuando al rato de estar conversando con él, va y me sale con que ya había conocido a muchos otros españoles anteriormente, y que siempre le había chocado que ninguno podíamos hablar español correctamente, o “igual de bien como nosotros” , y me pregunta que a qué creo yo que se debe eso. Cuando le pregunté a qué se refería exactamente con que no lo hablábamos “correctamente”, o “igual que ellos”, resultó ser que el amigo había deducido que como hablábamos con otro acento y usábamos palabras diferentes, la única posible explicación era que los españoles no habíamos aprendido a hablar español bien. ¿¿Me digaaaaa?? Sin poder ocultar mi sorpresa ante semejante declaración, pero educadamente, le recordé cierto capítulo de la historia universal, cuando un puñado de españoles habían aterrizado por estos lares y se habían apropiado de cualquier cosa de valor que encontraron a su paso a cambio de clases de lenguaje y religión, sugiriendo que si “vosotros habláis de manera diferente, ¿quizás sea porque vosotros no lo aprendísteis bien?” (aunque más probable es que no se les enseñó bien).

Esta revelación y lo que evidentemente era toda una nueva teoría a sus ojos pareció sorprenderle enormemente; también se quedó alucinado al oir que en España cada uno hablamos con un acento diferente dependiendo de qué parte provengamos, e incluso utilizamos diferentes palabras que se consideran regionales más que nacionales. El me aseguró que todo el mundo en Guatemala habla con el mismo acento y utiliza las mismas palabras (pero no pudimos comprobar la veracidad de esta afirmación). Cuando llegamos a nuestro destino, me dió mil gracias por ilustrarle y “abrirle los ojos” a un nuevo concepto lingüístico y se marchó, más contento que unas castañuelas, deseando sin duda compartir sus nuevos conocimientos con sus amigos y familiares más cercanos.

Habíamos llegado a la ciudad de Antigua, que fue la capital de Guatemala hasta 1773, cuando se vio derruida en un terremoto. La ciudad sólo se había fundado en 1543, después de que un desprendimiento de tierra enorme enterrara la capital de entonces, Ciudad Vieja (a sólo 5 kms) 2 años antes. Antigua ya se había visto sacudida por terremotos en varias ocasiones, y sus destruidos y reconstruidos, hasta que el desastre final puso fin a los esfuerzos de reconstrucción y la gente se mudó a otras partes del país, principalmente a la Ciudad de Guatemala, que se convertiría en la nueva capital.

Hoy día Antigua ha recuperado mucho de su antiguo esplendor, y es un destino turístico muy popular. Muchos vienen aquí a hacer cursos de español (al parecer siempre hay de 300 estudiantes internacionales para arriba en cualquier época del año), y a subir al menos uno de los volcanes que la sirven de telón de fondo.

La verdad es que estábamos algo nerviosos de estar en Guatemala después de leer no sólo las páginas del MAE, sino también las de nuestra guía de viaje, que advertían acerca de los frecuentes ataques a turistas a lo largo y ancho del país, y que van de los atracos callejeros, a secuestro de autobuses en las rutas más populares, a robos durante las subidas a cualquiera de los volcanes. Sí, sabemos que ambas publicaciones necesitan pecar de prudentes (quizás alarmando al visitante algo más de lo absolutamente necesario), y aunque ninguno de los viajeros con los que habíamos hablado había tenido ningún problema, aún así no nos sentíamos del todo cómodos. Para más inri, una de las historias contaba cómo varios turistas habían sido despojados de todas sus pertenencias (incluyendo zapatos y ropa) mientras subían uno de los volcanes, y cómo tuvieron que volver a su alojamiento en pelota picada. En fín, esto no ayudó a que nos relajáramos precisamente. Por mucho que entendemos que este blog os habría resultado muchísimo más entretenido si esto nos hubiera pasado a nosotros, esperamos que nos perdonéis por presentaros una versión algo menos colorida....

Para combatir este tipo de crimen, decidieron colocar parejas de policías armados controlando el camino que sube al volcán más popular, el Pacaya (2,552m), de modo que éste es el que decidimos subir. Este volcán ha erupcionado a lo grande unas 20 veces desde 1565, y desde mediados de los 60 lo ha hecho continuamente (aunque de manera mucho más calmadita). De modo que subimos con la esperanza de presenciar un poco de acción, y no nos decepcionó.

Primero nos llevaron en una furgoneta hasta la entrada al parque nacional, donde pagamos el billete de entrada y nos asignaron un guía. La subida fue relativamente fácil y sólo tardamos un par de horas en llegar a la cima (sin ver ni un sólo policía en todo el camino, por cierto); llegamos justo a tiempo de verlo todo... completamente cubierto en niebla. El hecho de que el cráter, que es el más grande que habíamos visto hasta entonces (de varios kilómetros hacia arriba y hacia los lados), no hacía más que echar humo no ayudaba la visibilidad precisamente. A pesar del calor que hacía ese día, en la cima hacía una rasca increible, así que nos alegramos de que las nubes no tardaran en dispersarse porque no llevábamos suficientes capas de ropa y nos estábamos congelando.

Pero no tardaríamos en calentarnos. El guía nos llevó a dar un paseo sobre lava recién enfriada, de hecho nos aseguró que estábamos caminando sobre lava que había estado al rojo vivo el día anterior. Al principio sospechamos que quizás exageraba un poco, por añadir emoción a la experiencia... pero al final decidimos que si era verdad que exageraba, no estarían sus afirmaciones muy lejos de la verdad, pues vimos varias grietas con lava ardiente en su interior, y el calorcito que sentíamos en nuestros pies no era imaginación nuestra tampoco. Oliendo el olor a goma ligeramente tostada (la de las suelas de nuestras botas) cada vez que nos parábamos dos segundos más de lo necesario, empezamos a preguntarnos si de verdad era éste un ejercicio seguro o sentato, pensando que la lava podía quebrarse bajo nuestro peso en cualquier momento y podíamos acabar dándonos un baño caliente así como de manera improvisada... ¿y quíén podía asegurarnos que el monstruo durmiente no fuera a tirarse un pedo tremendo mandándonos a todos a tocar el arpa sobre una nube? Pero como dijo una vez Reihold Messner, considerado por algunos el más grande alpinista de todos los tiempos, “sin riesgo de muerte, la aventura no es posible” (traducción libre).

Caminamos sobre la lava durante lo que pareció una pequeña eternidad (en realidad probablemente no fuera más que 5 minutos), algunos trozos tenían unas formas preciosas ondeadas, pero mayormente el lugar era un mar de pedruscos enormes de basalto escupidos por el cráter, y teníamos que saltar de uno a otro intentando no perder el equilibrio, ya que tenían toda la pinta de estar más afilados que el cuchillo de un carnicero (y lo estaban). Nuestro guía, que iba saltando de roca en roca como si fuera una cabra montesa, estaba como a unos 100 metros por delante de nosotros cuando se detuvo en un lugar determinado y se puso a gritar “¡Lava!”. Cómo guiados por un instinto suicida, todos los del grupo nos dirigimos hacia él en línea recta en vez de preocuparnos en elegir la mejor ruta, y aunque el trozo de lava en movimiento que nos encontró no se movía lo bastante rápido como para enterrarnos vivos, poder verlo tan de cerca y sentir el calor tan intenso que soltaba fue una experiencia increible y muy memorable.

Durante la bajada sí vimos 3 parejas de policías, colocadas en varios puntos del
TIKAL: Great Piramid (Lost World) / Gran Piramide (Mundo Perdido)TIKAL: Great Piramid (Lost World) / Gran Piramide (Mundo Perdido)TIKAL: Great Piramid (Lost World) / Gran Piramide (Mundo Perdido)

The largest pyramid at 30m high. Together with other buildings to the west, it forms part of an astronomical complex. Can you find Maria on the steps? ********* La más grande de Tikal con 30m de altura. Junto con otros edificios al oeste, forma parte de un gran complejo astronómico. ¿Me podéis ver en los escalones?
camino, pero nos preguntamos que para qué se molestaban cuando cualquier atracador nos podía haber pillado por la mañana durante la subida, o incluso durante la bajada misma, ya que la distancia entre los “puestos de control” era considerable y ni de coña nos hubieran oido gritar. Pero suponemos que simplemente el hecho de que están ahí es suficiente para quitar las ganas a los rateros, y nos sentimos afortunados de poder haber llegado a Antigua en una pieza - y con toda nuestra ropa.

Pasamos un día más en Antigua sólo para que Mark pudiera sufrir viendo como Inglaterra quedaba eliminada del mundial tras aquellos (¡sospechosos!) penaltis. Aunque me dió pena por él (¡en serio!), al mismo tiempo fue un alivio saber que ¡ya no íbamos a tener que planear los viajes ni las excursiones para que no coincidieran con el dichoso fútbol! (y ya que íbamos bastante justos de tiempo, la verdad es que el alivio fue grande).

Nos hubiera gustado visitar el Lago Atitlan, que dicen que es precioso rodeado de montañas, y el mercado de Chichicastenango para admirar el despliegue de colores en los atuendos de los vendedores y en sus artesanías, pero aún estábamos a muchos kilómetros de Mexico y el reloj no se iba a deterner por nosotros, así que decidimos continuar camino hacia el norte cruzando medio país; un cambio de bus y varias horas más tarde, llegamos al pequeño pueblo de Flores para nuestra segunda dosis de ruinas mayas en Tikal.

La relación calidad-precio de Tikal nos pareció mucho mejor que la de Copán en Honduras. No sólo porque la entrada cuesta la mitad, sino porque hay mucho más que ver. Su emplazamiento es mucho más impresionante también, totalmente envuelto en frondosa selva hasta donde te alcanza la vista, incluso desde las pirámides más altas. Hacia 750DC, el nucleo de Tikal cubria 65 km2. Estuvo gobernado por una poderosa dinastía de más de 30 emperadores hasta (aproximadamente) el año 869DC. Las estructures principales se construyeron entre 550DC y 900DC, aunque se calcula que otros edificios se construyeron mucho antes, alrededor del año 300AC.

Los templos son santuarios a sus difuntos reales; sus crestas solían estar decoradas con figuras de los señores de Tikal. Las estelas también están decoradas con figuras de estos reyes y cuentan historias acerca de sus ascensiones al poder y de las guerras en las que lucharon. ¡Un poquito más de información en los comentarios bajo las fotos!

Mientras visitamos las ruinas, charlamos con uno de los guías, quien, al enterarse que íbamos a cruzar a Mexico en los próximos días, más que pedirnos nos suplicó que no pagáramos el “impuesto de salida” en la frontera. Nos insistió una y otra vez que por favor no aceptáramos las exigencias de los oficiales, asegurándonos que la susodicha “tasa” era totalmente ficticia e ilegal. La verdad es que nos lo pidió de una manera tan apasionada que nos sorprendió, pero entendimos que le indignara tanto pues lo veía no sólo como algo despreciable que los oficiales corruptos se embolsaran el dinero de los turistas por la cara, sino como algo que le daba al resto del país mala fama sin merecerla.

Esa tarde consultamos nuestra guía de viaje y también la página web del MAE (el inglés y el español), a ver si comentaban algo acerca de tal tasa de salida, pero ninguno lo hacía, así que decidimos que esto era prueba de que efectivamente el guía tenía razón. Cuando llegamos a la frontera (una cabaña mugrienta en mitad de la nada), el oficial por supuesto se puso a pedir dinero al sellar los pasaportes. Mientras estaba ocupado con otros turistas, nosotros nos dedicamos a buscar por las paredes algún papel oficial que hiciera referencia a la existencia de tasas, por si acaso, pero no encontramos ninguna evidencia. Así que cuando me llegó el turno y me exigió pago, le dije que ni hablar del peluquín, que sabía que los nacionales de países europeos no tenían que pagar ninguna tasa. Mirando de reojillo a los guardas armados que había estacionados fuera, cruce los dedos para que no comprobora que me estaba echando un farol...

El oficial, a quien no le impresionó en absoluto mi negativa, me soltó un insulto velado diciéndome que era típico de un español, que los españoles no queríamos pagar nunca. Le contesté que me parecía muy bien y que me alegraba oir que mis compatriotas no se dejan engañar tan fácilmente, al contrario que los otros pobres turistas que no hablan español y no se pueden defender verbalmente. A lo que me replicó en un tono de lo más dramático que no me preocupase, “que ya pagaría él mi tasa de su propio bolsillo”. Sí claro. ¿Pero esperaba en serio
TIKAL: North Acropolis from Temple II /  Acrópolis del Norte desde el  Templo IITIKAL: North Acropolis from Temple II /  Acrópolis del Norte desde el  Templo IITIKAL: North Acropolis from Temple II / Acrópolis del Norte desde el Templo II

North Acropolis contains some 100 buildings piled on top of earlier structures and is the burial ground of all of Tikal's rulers until the break with royal practice made by Ah Cacao ********* La Acrópolis del Norte contiene unos 100 edificios construidos sobre los cimientos de estructuras más antiguas y aquí se encuentran enterrados todos los emperadores de Tikal hasta que un Ah Cacao acabó con la práctica real
que me lo fuera a creer? Aún intentó sacarle dinero a Mark, pero cuando él también se negó, diciéndole muy clarito “no, no tengo que pagar”, tuvo que resignarse a aceptar un montón de otras negativas después de que entre los dos explicáramos al resto del grupo lo que nos había dicho el guía de Tikal. Pero los otros ni tuvieron que negarse, el tiparraco se dio por vencido fácilmente y simplemente selló los pasaportes sin molestarse en pedir más dinero.

¡¡Victoria!! Nos habrá llevado varios cruces de frontera y que nos timaran varias veces, pero por fín logramos vengarnos de los miserables embusteros que trabajan en puestos fronterizos. ¡¡Hurra¡¡ ¡Venganza al fin! ¡Y qué bien que sienta!



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

TIKAL: Temple II (of the Masks) / Templo II (de las Máscaras)TIKAL: Temple II (of the Masks) / Templo II (de las Máscaras)
TIKAL: Temple II (of the Masks) / Templo II (de las Máscaras)

Opposite Temple I in The Great Plaza rises to 38m ********* Frente al Templo I en la Gran Plaza. 38m de altura
TIKAL: Temple V / Templo VTIKAL: Temple V / Templo V
TIKAL: Temple V / Templo V

58m high, is the mortuary temple of an unknown ruler ********* 58m de altura, es el templo mortuario de un emperador desconocido


14th January 2007

Border Crossing
Really proud of you both for standing up to the guard at the border. If more tourist were as brave (and spoke Spanish as well as Maria) this kind of 'theft' would be wiped out.
15th January 2007

Steps
You're both looking so fit and well, it must have been climbing all those steps. The sun and scenery are amazing, even more so when over here it's just grey!

Tot: 0.934s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 19; qc: 104; dbt: 0.578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb