What Needs Do We Fill?


Advertisement
Guatemala's flag
Central America Caribbean » Guatemala
December 26th 2014
Published: December 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

One of the hardest things about being in Guatemala is trying to figure out where to best give. You are surrounded by need, and if you're like me you just want to give and give and give. That's not always the best thing, not only for the person we are wanting to help, but for the people who follow behind us. What we do might set an example or precedent for an entire community or village, so we have to be stragetic in what we do, even when it breaks our heart or makes us feel heartless to turn away sometimes. The other side of that is that sometimes the things people choose to do might not make sense at first glance. I mean sure, it makes sense that we took much needed towels and bottles to the hospital today. Everyone understands that drying a baby off with a towel makes more sense than using a baby blanket, which is what we did some this summer. And bottles, well of course you replace bottles, and hundreds of babies go through here each year. The clothes were also well needed, an essential item needed each day for each baby, and sometime more than one outfit a day. The toys we brought, yes, they can also be classified in the needed category. I mean, come on, how many of you want to be in a room with a dozen babies and toddlers and no toys? So yes, essential, a need. But then there's the last gift we decided to purchase, which at first glance might seem odd, crazy, and maybe even like we've lost our minds. After talking to Julio about needs around campus, we bought a t.v. Actually, we bought 2 t.v.'s and 2 dvd players. Have we lost our minds? We don't think so. At first glance, buying a t.v. and dvd player in a country with extreme poverty might seem crazy, but after talking to Julio, we think it can be a very good thing. The main t.v./dvd will be going into the main floor at the hospital. It will be put into an area where mothers and fathers bring their babies in for appointments or treatment, often for malnutrution. This will enable the staff to play educational dvds for these parents as well as their children who often have to wait for many hours. There are mothers and children who end up staying for days, weeks, even months, some of the children healthy but there with a sick sibling. Imagine the impact if we could play Bible dvds and expose them to the gospel of Christ in this way. Just last night in my post I mentioned the language and how I hated that I could not communicate with these mothers. They are often alone, with only the company of other mothers, but they would watch these dvds. I know it would be for entertainment, but oh how much they could learn. We have several Bible story dvds in Spanish they can begin with. This will be good for both children and their mothers. So are we crazy? Maybe, but I say take advantage of the captive audience we have right here who are compeletly bored from many hours spent in the hospital with nothing to do. The second t.v. will be going into the living room for the orphanage area, to be shared by the children. The living room is right across from Maribel's room, so they will be able to take those rambunctious little toddlers over occasionally for some veggie tales or sing-along songs. Again, is it a need? Maybe not how we normally classify it, but it is something nice and something special for these kids who do not have parents, nannies who come and go in shifts, and people in groups who come and go constantly. Toys are minimial, food is not something you get to choose, and you never leave the site. So is a t.v. a need? No, but it's a way to bring a small bit of happiness to the sweet little children that God has placed here on top this mountain.

This morning we went to the hospital and orphanage talking to directors trying to determine needs for both places, and that is how we determined the need for the t.v.'s. After making these decisions we spent the rest of the morning at the hospital. We took a huge load of towels, more bottles, and treat bags for all the nannies and nurses who work so very hard day after day. We took up several bags full of clothes for babies, probably 100 outfits if they were all counted. We also took more nametags to replace missing ones. There were more toys, some of which we installed on cribs. When daddy walked in Oscar and Herminio yelled "papa". I got to hold my sweet litte Dulce Milagros for a long time, and the nanny dressed her in one of the new outfits after her bath. We took Yolanda some new clothes, and she immediately tried on one of the new dresses, which fit her beautifully. After lunch we went to give Ana Miriam her gift. It included a scarf, so she proceeded to show us how she put her old one around her head to sleep. Mama and Daddy bought one of her paintings, and she was extremely grateful. It will go to help pay for her medical bills. She is excited that more groups are coming in tomorrow. Chrissy laughs that she's a tourist trap for all the groups! After visiting with her we went for cucos, it was banana for me and daddy today. Then we got to go into Zacapa with Marcela to purchase the t.v.s. Mama and daddy especially liked the armed guard with his "mean gun" who stood near the truck with the t.v.s while we went next door to get the dvd players. They wanted to take his picture but were afraid to! Hopefuly we'll be able to install the t.v.s tomorrow- as long as Julio doesn't take them off to his place like he keeps threatening to do! I can't believe tomorrow is already our last day on campus...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb