The Day Before the Night Before Christmas


Advertisement
Guatemala's flag
Central America Caribbean » Guatemala
December 24th 2014
Published: December 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Psalm 113:7-8 "He will lift the poor from the dust and the needy from the garbage dump. He will set them among princes, even the princes of His own people."That's the verse that always runs through my mind on the days that we visit the garbage dump and help at the feeding station. I found that verse right before our very first trip to Guatemala two years ago and love the hope that it brings when thinking of the people we meet in these dire circumstances. The poverty that we experience is unimagainable unless you've been here and experienced it firsthand. Imagine kids running around among broken glass and dead bloated animals, breathing in the fumes from the smoke of the constantly burning fires, being served a meal on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Many live right there at the dump to be the first ones to the trucks that pull in with garbage, so they can have first choice at gettiing things that can be recycled. All so that hopefully their family can save enough to make about $10 when someone comes around to buy the things they have saved to recycle. Then think about the story of Diego, who is 4, and runs and jumps into our arms with a big smile everytime I see him. Diego was found in the garbage dump as an infant- found only because God placed a group there at the exact time dogs were fighting over a trashbag- a trashbag with a newborn baby with the umbilical cord still attached. That's God lifting the needy from the garbage dump!

Today's meal at the dump consisted of some type of noodles with chicken and vegetables. The chicken includes all parts, so we even served the chicken feet. As we were serving, the moms were often heard asking for more 'pollo'. They also got a tortilla and some drink to go with thier meal. For many of them, this is the only meal they will have until Friday. They bring any containers they can find to fill up, trying to make it last. Some eat there, but most take it back to thier homes to eat later. I'm sure most of them do not even realize it's Christmas. It's probably just another day to them.

This morning after breakfast we went down to Safe Haven Village to deliver soccer nets and balls we had brought. We were able to help Matt get the nets attached to the goals he had built in an area that he and the boys had cleared out. The area used to be a retention pond for something, and makes a great little carved out area for a soccer field. He told us later in the evening that the boys had probably spent 6 or 7 hours down there playing soccer. And it was our hottest day yet- forcast to be 97 degrees and felt like it! The boys had not even had breakfast when we arrived, but they did not care they were so excited to play with the new balls and nets!

After leaving Safe Haven, we went to Kelly's House to install new name tags on the cribs and to love on the kiddos there for a little bit before lunch. I was able to help get a couple of them dressed after their bath to hopefully help their nanny out a little. Chrissy, of course, hung out with Juan Diego, Chalito, and Miseal. She has also fallen in love with Cristopher, who is new since our trip this summer. He is very sweet, and a joy to get to know. Mama got to spend some more time holding little Maria.

After lunch and our trip to the dump, we returned home exhausted! We came back and took a nap and showered for the big Christmas Eve dinner at the orphanage. It began at 8. Chrissy and I went to help Brenda with the little ones. She is nanny for the kids who are ages 2-4. She has 6 kids under her care, and she has her hands full! Some of the kids have been moved back in from other houses, where maybe there wasn't as much control. You've got kids like Josue, who is just plain wild, and you've got Hugo and Estella- well, terrible twos should say it all! We helped "herd" them to the pavilion, and I tried to stay with them throughout the evening, making sure I always had at least one of them with me, either Hugo or Maribel, when I would go visit with Cristina. Chrissy kept Diego most of the evening, so hopefully that made Brenda's numbers more managable. Maribel really took up with daddy this evening, and when he finally put her down she grabbed him by the back of the legs and just held on. She then went around front and kept reaching up for him. We all want to take her home so badly! Cristina was really sweet today. Everytime I'd go near she'd call for me and give me great big hugs. Dr. Laura said she'd seen her earlier today and she told her "Anita's here!" Tradition is to stay up until midnight on Christmas and then there are fireworks. I admit that I made it until about 10! After we helped Brenda get the kids back to their house, which was a feat in itself, I was beat. Daddy said he heard tons of fireworks at midnight but I didn't hear a thing... Man am I getting old!


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb