Puesto's


Advertisement
Published: June 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

PuestosPuestosPuestos

This is us getting local sweets from outside one of the Puestos. Guatemalans eat sooo much sugar!
Last week and Monday of last week, we have been visiting puestos or outreach clinic, in the countryside around San Juan Sacatepequez.

They are generally run by a nurse and a comedrona (a midwife, but without any training, most of them have just had loads of kids themselves from what I can work out!!). Most of the work done at these puestos involves public health matters like family planning, vaccinations, and education about hygine, infections, clean water, insects etc.

Each of the 8 students is assigned to a puesto on a specific day and hopefully I will be able to observe consultations in all of them. Most are based at or near primary or secondary schools. The main language of most of the attendees is kaquikel (Mayan). We are having lessons in basic greetings and body parts every Tuesday. It is incredibly hard to follow as its not really a written language, its very vocal with lots of clicks and abnormal mouth movements and letter combinations!! Also I tend to miss what the word in Spanish is and therefore get totally confused.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Road side viewRoad side view
Road side view

This is a group shot of us eating our sweets!
Pick upPick up
Pick up

This is us travelling Guate style in the back of a pick up
Statistics boardStatistics board
Statistics board

Every puesto we have been to keeps a record on the wall of their progree, number of vaccinations, number of people with various diseases etc. Most have only been in existence for 3 years


27th June 2006

WOW!!
Looks like you are really getting to see and experience "life in the country" Not too sure we could survive your mode of transrpot. Not exactly comfortable hey!!

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb