Chichicastenango Market


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Turkey anyone?Turkey anyone?Turkey anyone?

Lots of live animals in baskets. Can´t get any fresher than that!
Chichicastenango Market

Started early in the morning (7 a.m.) to visit a big, popular market for tourists anb locals alike. We were packed into a minivan like sardines for 3 hours. Fortunately, the person next to me was friendly, a Mexica-American from L.A. (where else?). A sometimes very bumpy ride through some outstandingly beautiful scenery, the breadbasket of Guatemala. The soil is unbelievably rich, and they plant crops everywhere, even on steep hills.

Once at the market I tagged along with three fellow students. Nicole was a great person to have if you wanted to bargain for something. She helped me out. The down side is that so many children come up to you and want to sell you trinkets. Once you show even the slightest interest, more show up. You can´t win. It´s sad really. We only stayed for about 3 hours, then returned home.




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Fellow tourists and studentsFellow tourists and students
Fellow tourists and students

Nicole (great bargainer; she helped me bargain for some small paintings), Vicki, Zoe
Indeginous womanIndeginous woman
Indeginous woman

You have to be careful taking pictures. Some of the Mayans believe that taking pictures takes away one´s soul. Someone told me (an urban/rural legend I´m sure) that a tourist was pulled off a bus and burned alive because he took a photo of one of the children. Hard to believe actually. That´s what I chose to believe.
fertile earthfertile earth
fertile earth

ugly picture, but you can see how rich the soil is


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb